Book Recommendations

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by tinkerirock on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:00 am

sounds like a really good series!! I would recommend the 39 Clues series- the first book is by Rick Riordan!!

--The 39 clues is a series about how Dan and Amy Cahill travel the world seeking clues through out historical parts of the world. Amy and Dan are against their rivals, their realatives. Amy and Dan are orphans and they travel with their au pair, Nelly. I love this series because it is full of action and mayhem!!--

--Another good series is the Twilight series! I think yall would know about what it is about. I love it becuase it is romantic, detailed, and very PASSIONATE!!--

well, thats wht all i got 4 rite now!
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 am

I loved the Hunger Games!!! I really hope they don't mess up the movie. Gale is awesome!! Maximum Ride by James Patterson is great, the next one is coming out in March (and I'm REALLY excited!!) Uh...H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden is cool too. Here are the book descriptions:

Maximum Ride:
James Patterson's explosive debut in the young adult market is guaranteed to create legions of new fans for this beloved, multimillion-selling author.
Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, Angel, and Maximum: Six kids who are pretty normal in most ways -- except that they're 98% human, 2% bird. They grew up in cages, living like rats, but now they're free. Riding the wind, their wings are an amazing gift . . . and yet, their world can morph into a nightmare in a single instant. For when the bloodthirsty Erasers -- half men, half-wolves genetically engineered by sick and sinister scientists -- kidnap little Angel, the Flock embarks on a rescue mission that will change them forever.
From Death Valley, California, to the bowels of the New York City subway system, 14-year-old Max leads her five feisty "family" members on a journey full of nonstop action, adventure, and soul-seeking -- not to mention a little bit of saving the world on the side!
(I know it sounds weird, but it's an amazing book!!)

H.I.V.E.:
lever enough to trick the most powerful man in the country, 13-year-old Otto Malpense is a perfect candidate to become a villain. Dr. Nero, the headmaster at H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute for Villainous Education) selects Otto to be kidnapped and tutored in the art of villainy.
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Morpheus
Female Number of posts : 93
Humor : defenestration- to throw someone or something out of a window
Registration date : 2009-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 pm

These all sound awesome!!! I have read the 39 Clues and I'm going to read Maximum Ride, I'm waiting on it from the library. H.I.V.E. doesn't really sound like the kind of thing I would read, but it's worth giving it a shot!

I can't wait to see if the movie for The Hunger Games comes out either!!! And if I had to choose between Peeta or Gale for Katniss, I would totally choose Gale! They each know what it's like to be hungry and they've survived together and have had each other's backs for years. What do you think?
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 am

GALE IS THE BEST. Smile Thanks!!! I know, H.I.V.E. sounds kind of weird...I guess in a way it is. Smile If you're not that great with technology it might be hard to follow. Maximum Ride is AMAZING. There's going to be a movie! The director also directed Twilight (which I hated, no offense) so that's going to be interesting. Very Happy
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:34 am

cool-ish... I guess. I don't really like Twilight. But I can't wait to see the Maximum Ride movie!! Book Recommendations Icon_biggrin Sounds exciting!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 am

yea i think that they jacked up the twilight movie in a way...they sound awesome, has anyone ever heard of that new series "Conspiracy 365"? alot of people are reading it and like it looks kinda like a guy-book, so just-sayin for people out there who love action...sounds like a good series, but im still kinda reading alot of other books Book Recommendations Icon_cool
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 am

If you haven't read the Eragon series they are great. So are the REdwall series .... Jacques has been writing 1 story a year for 20 years so obviously he is doing something right and the stories are great.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 am

That's cool!!! tinkerirock, do you think you could give me the summary of Conspiracy 365? I might want to read that. Book Recommendations Icon_smile
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 am

If you like spys you should read CHERUB by Robert Muchamore.

CHERUB is the name of the fictional organization in the series. After years of speculation, Muchamore hinted in the Henderson's Boys novel Eagle Day that CHERUB stood for Charles Henderson Espionage Research Unit B. CHERUB is a division of MI5. It was formed during World War II by Charles Henderson; a british spy who had used children during an operation in France.[1] \It began with a small number of boys which swelled in size as the government realised its worth. After several years of operation it took a trial group of girls, which proved succesful.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm

I was going to get that!!! They didn't have it at Borders so...I couldn't. Sad
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 am

The Maximum Ride series is amazing!!! Also some other great books are:
Warriors (there are like 4 different series with 6 books in each) it's about Warrior cats (i know weird but.. thats what i thought when i first read them)
Septimus Heap series: first book : Maygk, 2nd book Flyte, 3rd book Physik, 4th book Queste, 5th book Syren. ( i know she spells things weird)
i cna't think of any more but i will post if i think of more...
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:12 am

Bookworm wrote:I was going to get that!!! They didn't have it at Borders so...I couldn't. Sad

I know, we have the same problems here, don't have them in stock half the time. I had to get mine over the net, to be shipped half-way across the world.

P.S. sorry for going off topic.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 am

Same here! The first to books in the H.I.V.E. series are published here, but there are two others that my mom ordered from the UK! Thank goodness they founD a publisher (I think) for the US...
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 am

I just got the Pendragon books heard they are funny.

"You love me...Real or not real?"
"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 pm

I would reccomend Maximum Ride by James Patterson. Its AWESOME! The next book is coming out in march!
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 pm

i would like to reccomend the Grey Griffins series. i am only on the second book, but other than the PJO series, they are like my favorite. here is a summary i got from http://www.greygriffins.com/book1.html.
The first book is called The Revenge of the Shadow King. i know it sounds weird, but it is really good!!!

Max Sumner and his three best friends, Harley, Ernie, and Natalia -- who form the secret club The Grey Griffins -- seem to be the only people in their very normal Minnesota town to notice that strange things have started to happen. When creatures like goblins and fairies and unicorns, all characters from a card game the Grey Griffins play, begin to make appearances in Max's backyard, Max and his friends know something is terribly wrong. And it's up to them to stop the wicked creatures of the cards from destroying their town -- indeed, their world. A thrilling new legend is born in the first book of the Grey Griffins' magical adventures.

I think this book is addicting- but then again, i think most books are adicting. I would reccomend this if you like fantasy.

The second book is called The Rise of the Black Wolf. Again, wierd title, but AWESOME BOOK. i am in the middle of it, but it is really good so far. Here is a summary from the same website:
When Max Sumner and the Grey Griffins (Ernie, Natalia, and Harley) are invited to Lord Sumner's castle in Scotland, they look forward to a relaxing vacation. But things go horribly awry when Max's dad goes missing, and a band of seemingly indestructible werewolves comes after them. Will Max and the Grey Griffins be able to save his father and keep the powerful Spear of Ragnarok from falling into the wicked clutches of Margan LaFey?
The third book is called The Fall of the Templar. I didn't read this one yet, but i will try ASAP! Here is a summary from the same website:

Lord Sumner has unlocked the secrets to the Spear of Ragnarok, unleashing a power that threatens to bring a second Ice Age. All hope seems lost until the Templar Knights discover clues that may lead them to a relic with the power to stand against the Spear.

Now Max Sumner and the Grey Griffins must join the Templar in a treacherous journey into the Underworld as they hunt for that lost relic and try and save the planet from extinction. But even if they make it through the underground labyrinth, an ageless dragon awaits at the end of their quest. Are they up to the challenge? Find out in the gripping legend of The Fall of the Templar...

I really hope you guys atleast read the first page of the series. It is a good one. If you like fantasy, you should like this series.

Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm

[color=red]Thanks for the great recommendation on this series. study study Pendragon says, " I am so there.". study study study

"You love me...Real or not real?"
"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:19 pm

another awesome series is Oh. My. Gods. The second book in the series is called Goddess Bootcamp. When i first saw it at Barnes and Nobles, I read a review. It said, "Riding the wave of the Percy Jackson and the Olympain Series, this book is filled with adventure and excitment." I was like, OMG!!!!!!!! Book Recommendations Icon_eek Book Recommendations Icon_eek But this is a really good twist in what we kno about greek mythology. I reccomend it if you like fantasy and greek mythology!
Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study Book Recommendations Icon_study
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 am

Hmm...interesting. I'll have to add that to the long list of books I need to read. Smile
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 am

Bookworm wrote:Same here! The first to books in the H.I.V.E. series are published here, but there are two others that my mom ordered from the UK! Thank goodness they founD a publisher (I think) for the US...

What are the H.I.V.E. series???
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 am

An awesome book series!! There's going to be a movie!! Here's the description thing. Smile

lever enough to trick the most powerful man in the country, 13-year-old Otto Malpense is a perfect candidate to become a villain. Dr. Nero, the headmaster at H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute for Villainous Education) selects Otto to be kidnapped and tutored in the art of villainy.
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 pm

so H.I. V.E is like a twist from heros to villans???? cooolll!!! Book Recommendations Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations Icon_biggrin
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 pm

To any of you who enjoy fantasy nad adventure, I strongly recommend The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. They are true classics, and if you are patient and take the time to read them well, it definitely a satisfying read. The Chronicles are, essentially, the stories of humans reaching the alternate universe of Narnia, to aid the Narnians in a crisis. Would say more, but if I did, I 'd be here for 12 hours telling you about it.
To understand the story line best, you should read the books in this order: The Magician's Nephew, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle.
If you want to know more, PM me.
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm

That's on my list of things to read too!! Yeah, it's really cool because some of the villains are actually bad and turn against the other villains, but the other villains are nice...but they do bad things...it's really confusing. Smile
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content