MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+21
TheAravis
Elliot
posiden#1god
athenachick
Mark Dimiond
monsterslayer
The_Megal
penguinsoldier
polkmen1234
Luke
demi...gawd!
Greek_Geek
Pendragon
percyjackson101
Artemisrocks
Cennedy125
riczhang
Posidonsdaughter
Bookworm
tinkerirock
PJO-geek
25 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 11 Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 11 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by riczhang Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I think that there is 1 book a month for 12 months.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 pm

yea and each month the book for that month comes out. like right now, may is out. then next month, june comes out.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat May 22, 2010 8:37 pm

what book are you talking about
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat May 22, 2010 8:39 pm

posiden#1god wrote:what book are you talking about

Conspiracy 365
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat May 22, 2010 8:42 pm

o i see thank you
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon May 24, 2010 4:34 am

How about something that Rick recommends. The Secrets of the Immortal: Nicholas Flamel series? Rick posted on his twitter today about the imminent release of Book #4, The Necromancer. Book One - Three are The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 24, 2010 11:38 pm

O this sounds good
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 pm

posiden#1god wrote:O this sounds good

It is, I love the series and have pre-ordered book 4
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Ok if i get the chance i look for it
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 pm

posiden#1god wrote:Ok if i get the chance i look for it

One recommendation, DO NOT skip, read in order, otherwise you'll miss a lot.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Ya iv learned that from the past
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:44 pm

I recommend the Artemis Fowl books... here is a summary of the first book:
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:46 pm

They sound funny!
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_smile They aren't really all that funny.....
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:57 pm

But still... LEPrecon?
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:53 pm

smoothmoves97 wrote:But still... LEPrecon?

That was funny but the books are more action. YOu know the author says that that is what Leprechaun comes from?
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Conspiracy 365 sounds really good, and so does the Artemis Fowl! Eragon was good, but I'm almost done with Eldest, but I'm just not that interested anymore. I'll try again.

I absolutely cannot wait until Mocking Jay comes out!! I have to go with Gale is better for Katniss. It's just much better that way.

I also can't wait until The Lost Hero comes out. Once I read the chapters, mind was going a million miles an hour trying to figure out everything I'd read, like what happened to Percy? and all the other stuff that's been said in the post about the chapters.

Any other books?
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)

Back to top Go down

Post by percabethsprincess Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:08 pm

it really depends on what type of books you normally like but here are some of my favorites

the millennium trilogy, its sorta a crime/thriller but very entertaing and sometimes funny. also its kinda adult so it really depends on how mature you are if you should read them.
book one: Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden’s wealthiest families disappeared without a trace more than forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to try to discover what happened to her. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist recently sidelined by a libel conviction, to investigate. Blomkvist is aided by the computer prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption on their way to discovering the truth of Harriet Vanger’s fate.

there is also the redwall series, which i love

book one: As the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey bask in the glorious Summer of the Late Rose, all is quiet and peaceful. But things are not as they seem. Cluny the Scourge, the evil one-eyed rat warlord, is bent on destroying the tranquility as he prepares to fight a bloody battle for the ownership of Redwall. This dazzling story in the Redwall series is packed with all the wit, wisdom, humor, and blood-curdling adventure of the other books in the collection, but has the added bonus of taking the reader right back to the heart and soul of Redwall Abbey and the characters who live there.

there is also the pretty little lairs series
book one:In the exclusive Philadelphia suburb of Rosewood, Alison is the Queen Bee of her elite seventh grade hive. BFs Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily vie for her attention, even as each of them hides a hideous secret only Alison knows. So when Alison goes missing after a slumber party, never to be seen again, each girl is heartbroken, but also a little relieved. Now it is three years later, and though the four girls have grown apart, they are each still hiding something.When the girls begin receiving threatening text messages and emails that from someone known only as "A," they must confront the fact that against all odds, it appears Alison is back. Could Alison still be alive? And if so, why is she so determined to uncover all their dirty little secrets?

its alittle girly sometimes, but good Smile

but really it depends on what genera of books you are normally into Smile
percabethsprincess
percabethsprincess
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 1144
Humor : sometimes i like to park my car next to a high way road and point a hair dryer at people to see if they slow down...
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

I have never read Pretty Little Liars... but I guess i could give it a try
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Yes, it sounds interesting
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Hmmm...I think the Millenium Trilogy sounds interesting.

Has anyone read Freaky Green Eyes? My grandma got me it for my birthday, and really wants me to read it, but I'm not sure I want to. I'm cleaning my room right now (Book Recommendations - Page 11 Icon_wink) and I haven't found it yet, so I'll give the summary once I find it.
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm

I haven't read that book but I good give it a try..... you never know.
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percabethsprincess Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Millenium Trilogy is really good, there is alot of violence though... and themes of violence ... and some other things. lol. try looking it up to see more about it.

on the plus side it has the best movie based off of a book i have seen so far... but the movie is in sweedish with subtitles lol. the american verison is coming in 2012 but i dont know how close they will stay...
percabethsprincess
percabethsprincess
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 1144
Humor : sometimes i like to park my car next to a high way road and point a hair dryer at people to see if they slow down...
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 am

Anyone here beside's Christof who read Ender's Game?
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 pm

nope, wht's it about
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next