MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

+8
smoothmoves97
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
riczhang
Cennedy125
posiden#1god
Elliot
tinkerirock
Posidonsdaughter
12 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Empty The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:29 pm

THIS IS WHERE WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE NEW BOOK.

SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU READ THIS SITE YOU MAY LEARN DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO UNTIL YOU READ THE BOOK.

ALL POSTERS If you talk about the book contents AT ALL, start your post with a SPOILER ALERT!!!

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by tinkerirock Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 pm

i think the first chapter is very awesome. rick did an excellent job. i also think that its a brand-new idea. like everyone is basing stuff around greek gods, but not egyptian. so its also very creative.

*we were talking about it in class and even the adults like how the Red Pyramid sounds!!
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Elliot Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 am

Hey, Suz? (:

Albiet, this is not about the book itself...
I might be going to the release party in the city for TRP. And, I was wondering if we were allowed to cosplay for it. I have a Carter and Sadie cosplay, but what do you think?

Here's the Carter one too bad I'm white!, I'll post Sadie's once I have my camera back. The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon_farao
Elliot
Elliot
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Undetermened
Female Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am

awesome.... i think that TRP is going to big a huge hit
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 pm

i hope this is a huge hit and i got i think half the kids at my school to read pjo and want to read red peromid
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 am

I can't wait for TRP!! I think it will be an amazing book! I was always into Egyptian myths and mummies and stuff like that. I had never been interested in greek mythology till I read PJO.
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 am

it will be a hit i know it half the kids from my school are going
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Who has read the Red Pyramid? SPOILER ALERT!!!

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon_post_target by Elliot on Tue 4 May - 20:08
+
----
-

I have already magically teleported to the end of this book in less than and hour.

No, I merely jest. But, I am on chapter four.
I hope to finish reading it by tomorrow so I can start my blog.

AND, BOY, DO I HAVE A LOT TO SAY, both positive and negitive.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Kaneplz
+ Maat playing with a lie detector.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! 156-18
Elliot
Mortal
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Stars16

Imortal Parent: Undetermened
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon_minigender_female Number of posts: 24
Registration date: 2010-04-21

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! I_icon_profile The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! I_icon_pm
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri May 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Almost done. It is fantastic. I love the duel narration.

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but wow.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Fri May 07, 2010 11:13 pm

This is a great book so fare, i hope it dosent end bad
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 pm

SPOILER ALERT.

The book is fabulous. I am sorry if you think you own the portal system but a lot of books have used it, Elliot.

The PJO PLOT usage why mess with a good thing - Camp Pharaoh Blood!!! in Brooklyn,NY

WHEN I POSTED THIS NEWS ARTICLE - I FAILED TO MENTION THAT THEY ARE HAVING AN EGYPT CAMP THIS SUMMER TOO. ONE FOR CAMP PHARAOH BLOOD PLEASE. CAMP HALF BLOOD LITERARY CAMP has openings in Brooklyn, NY
posted Apr 14, 2010 8:37 AM by SuzanneK [
updated Apr 19, 2010 11:54 PM ]

The Brownstone Book Store in Brooklyn, NY, was one of several Bookstores mentioned on Rick's Blog, still has some openings in their 6 weeks of Camp Half Blood Literary Camp. There are openings still available in the weeks June 14-18, 21-25, and a few for the week of June 28-July 2. The store is located in a beautiful section of Brooklyn, and will be using Prospect Park a short distance away for their outdoor activities. Prospect Park is half mile long and about a half mile wide park that contains several of the palatial homes dating from the late 1800's, now turned museums, and the spectacular gardens and grounds that surrounded them.

The owner, Crystal, told us when we visited her store that there are families coming from as far as California and Texas for the camp. They are making the camp part of a family vacation to New York City. The best part of all is that they are accepting campers aged 9 - 16 years old. So many other camps have age cut off only 13 or 14 years old.

To contact Brownstone Books 409 lewis Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11233; 1-718-953-7328 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-718-953-7328 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Brownstonebooks

Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliot Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 am

I am sorry if you think you own the portal system but a lot of books have used it, Elliot.
Well, I suppose you can't put a patent on an otherworldly transportation device, anyway.

The best part of all is that they are accepting campers aged 9 - 16 years old.
I'm still too old. Oh, the woes of having been born in 1993. I tried to get a job as a camp counselor here, actually, for both the PJO and Kane camps. I'd be right at home either way. But, they were only taking employees from the store. Shame. Shame.

Camp Pharaoh Blood!!!
... I will say nothing.
Elliot
Elliot
Mortal
Mortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat May 08, 2010 3:18 am

Pardon me Elliot for my spelling error of DUEL instead of dual for two. I have no interest in fighting just togetherness.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliot Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 am

Hehe. No wonder we got so mixed up! ;D
Oh, those darn homophones!

But, I loved the dual narration as well. The narration style itself is one of the main reasons this book is potentially better than PJO. Having two conversing main characters can lead to many a' interesting plot devices later on.
Elliot
Elliot
Mortal
Mortal

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 am

Pendragon and I have finished the book. How far are you?
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 pm

**still have to go and get it** sigh....
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 pm

I just can't get my hands on TRP!
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 1:44 am

Press Release for The Red Pyramid

New York—May 4, 2010—Disney Book Group’s Disney-Hyperion imprint launches the eagerly anticipated The Kane Chronicles, Book One: The Red Pyramid today with a one million copy first printing. Rick Riordan, creator of the 15 million copy-selling blockbuster Percy Jackson & the Olympians series, introduces readers to The Kane Chronicles, a new fantasy bringing ancient Egyptian mythology to life in a vivid modern-day setting. The Red Pyramid simultaneously releases in hardcover, downloadable e-book apps compatible on iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, Kindle, and the nook reader as well as an audio version through Brilliance Audio.
When a magical accident unleashes the Egyptian gods on the modern world, siblings Carter and Sadie Kane discover that they are the only ones who can put things right. As descendants of the greatest Egyptian magicians, they must find a way to defeat the evil god Set before he can destroy them.
In support of the release of The Red Pyramid, Riordan will embark on a two week, 11-city tour kicking off in New York, NY and continue on toPhiladelphia, PA; Washington, DC; Atlanta, GA; Toronto, ON; Wayzata, MN; Chicago, IL; Louisville, KY; Dallas, TX; Austin, TX; and San Antonio, TX.
A robust, multi-tiered marketing campaign launched this spring with a special, exclusive mailing. Four hundred lucky readers received mystery packs containing audio clips from the book and hieroglyphic codes which created significant online buzz. Beginning today, fans can visit The Red Pyramid Puzzle , redpyramidpuzzle an immersive online experience, featuring a series of five puzzles based on Egyptian mythology and the lore of The Kane Chronicles. Fans who are able to successfully complete all five puzzles will be entered to win an all expense paid trip for two to meet Rick Riordan during his fall US tour.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 09, 2010 2:23 am

I solved the Red Pyramid Puzzle, and sorry if this is a bit off topic, cause I couldn't find anywhere better to put it.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 3:26 am

This from the LA Times article by Susan Carpenter

SPOILER ALERT

Once again, Riordan masterfully meshes modern life with mythology and history, reinvigorating dusty artifacts such as the Rosetta stone and revitalizing ancient Egyptian story lines.

As Sadie and Carter teleport from London and Cairo to Paris and Phoenix and shape-shift into various animals, they come to understand they aren't ordinary kids. They're magicians, even if attempts to summon swords sometimes result in butter knives.

More significant, they're descendants of pharaohs, and their earthly bodies are temporarily inhabited by Egyptian gods.

Such preposterously delightful circumstances are enhanced by Riordan's ear for dialogue, which has 12-year-old Sadie and 14-year-old Carter delivering such gems as, "Why are 5,000-year-old monsters attacking our house?" and "Excuse me, Miss Goddess Lady," as they unwittingly play out narratives that have been predestined for millennia.

Sadie, it turns out, is Isis; the goddess of fertility, who is on a quest to locate the god of the lower world, Osiris. Carter is Horus, the son of Osiris, who has to defeat Set, the god who is imprisoning his dad.

For their journey, they use the tools of ancient Egypt, including clay figurines that come to life and guide them, and papyrus scrolls that reveal information that will help them on their quest.

Sadie has no trouble interpreting hieroglyphs, another similarity between her and Percy Jackson, who didn't understand why he could read ancient Greek until he learned he was a demigod. Like Percy — which derives from Perseus — Carter's name is also symbolic. It comes from Howard Carter, who discovered King Tut's tomb.

The similarities between "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" and "The Red Pyramid" are numerous, but if "The Red Pyramid" comes off as derivative, at least Riordan is deriving from himself.

Regardless, his new story, like his old one, is inventive and well told and has the added benefit of making history interesting again. How interesting? "The Red Pyramid" may not be available until Tuesday, but as of Friday it was No. 13 on Amazon.com.

As for how many books will follow this first installment of "The Kane Chronicles," Riordan told Publishers Weekly last November that he was planning a three-book series, although he acknowledged, "I may end up going farther than that."

As for Sadie and Carter, they seem likely to encounter some other deities along the way.

"The Red Pyramid," after all, is structured as a transcript of a digital recording by its two protagonists — a transcript that is left in a school locker in the hopes that other godlings will step forward and further the gods' story line.

susan.carpenter@latimes.com
textSize()

Copyright ©️ 2010, The Los Angeles Times
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! 53587874-03150033
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 6:52 pm

From Rick's Myth and Mystery blog.
During my visit to the Sidwell Friends School in D.C. this week, a girl in the front row made a very perceptive comment: "Sadie relates to Carter the same way Annabeth relates to Percy. The girl is always pulling the guy back down to earth. Is that intentional?" My answer: I have a lot of strong women in my life, who are always grounding me and helping me find my center. Without them, I would certainly fly off course. So it's probably no wonder that my female characters always represent the voice of reason. (Although Sadie might balk at being called the voice of reason.)

the D.C. Fairmont, getting ready to leave for Atlanta. The tour so far has been great!

Favorite moments: the kids who made 'What Would Percy Do?' T-shirts. (Answer: If it moves, kill it), the party atmosphere at Politics & Prose's parking lot party (the food helped a lot, and the Good Humor man couldn't believe his luck to find a built-in audience of 1000 kids), and the countless wonderful costumes, artwork, letters and stories that kids give me during the signing.

Favorite questions: "Would you have read your own books as a child?" I hope so, but I was a picky reader, like my sons! "What question haven't you been asked that you want me to ask?" That, in itself, is a great question. "You must really like mythology, huh?" What gave me away?

Thanks to the great bookstore staff who had all the events so well organized. Bank Street Books had things humming along at Symphony Space. Special thanks to Colum McCann and his children, who came backstage to say hi. Colum's book 'Let the Great World Spin' has been high on my to-be-read list. Little did I know he'd hand-deliver a signed copy for me! What a fantastic treat. Thanks also to Matthew Cody (author of Powerless) who interviewed me so well and served as master of ceremonies, and Sonia Manzano (Maria from Sesame Street) who performed a reading from Red Pyramid.

The next night, Children's Book World hosted a super event at Haverford College, with special help from Haverford Bookstore which co-sponsored the event and got access to the theater (thanks, Julie!). Hannah and the staff at CBW were awesome, as usual. We had a sold-out crowd of 700+. Funniest moment: someone asked me what I thought of the Lightning Thief movie, I admitted I hadn't seen it, and the crowd burst into spontaneous applause. LOL. Wasn't planning that response. As I told the crowd, it's just that I'm still writing about Percy's world in The Heroes of Olympus series which starts Oct. 12, and I wanted to keep my own vision of the characters and settings intact without having them influenced by the movie interpretation. Anyway, the crowd was very enthusiastic with great questions.

Yesterday, the Politics and Prose event was enormous! Over a thousand people filled the parking lot, which the landlord was kind enough to close for the event (a first for the store, I understand). Food vendors did a brisk business, and the weather was beautiful. After my signing line at National Book Festival was cut-off last fall (not my idea!), I'd promised that this time I'd stay until everyone got a book signed. Four hours later, mission accomplished! Thanks to the store staff and Edie, media escort extraordinaire, for keeping the signing line moving. The audience was just great -- excited, patience, polite -- and I think they know how lucky they are to have a store like Politics and Prose in town!

Now I'm off to Atlanta for my event with Little Shop of Stories. Hope to see some of you on the road!

Posted by Rick Riordan at 5:44 AM The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_email The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_edit_allbkg

Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Red Pyramid Puzzle

I’m being told that people are in fact making their way through these very difficult puzzles. Some have even gotten past Puzzle #3.

Puzzle #3, like Puzzle #1, is another webcam puzzle (although it looks like you don’t necessarily need the webcam to solve it). But if you do try the webcam and use the book itself, it seems like the audio messages that were found online are very important. They will somehow let you know what pages to turn to. Do you remember this audio sample I found online?

Apparently there are two more versions out there, although I’m not sure they’ve been posted online yet. Has anyone seen these tapes? Here are few more representations of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9CUdrxtAs&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xEHaGdGx0s&feature=related

Good luck! The puzzles are designed to be super hard, but all those who finish will win a chance at the grand prize -- an all-expense paid trip to visit me on tour next fall when The Lost Hero comes out!

Meanwhile, I'm having a great time on tour. Thanks to the sold-out crowds who came to my events in NYC and Philadelphia. Tonight, Politics & Prose parking lot party in D.C. Come join us for some Egyptian magic and mystery!

Posted by Rick Riordan at 11:58 AM The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_email The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_edit_allbkg

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Happy Egypt Day! Are you ready for the Red Pyramid Puzzle?

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! RedPyramidPuzzle
The launch day is here for The Red Pyramid, and I have lots of news..

Disney just issued its press release for the book, and announced the Red Pyramid puzzle contest above. All those who complete the puzzle get a chance to win an all-expense-paid trip to meet me on tour next fall, but be warned -- to solve these puzzles, you'll need the wisdom of Thoth and the magic of Isis, not to mention the patience of the Sphinx! Good luck!

Also today, a great review in USA Today, and an interview in the Wall Street Journal. Now I'm off the Disney HQ to sign books. Tonight, Symphony Space! More soon.

Posted by Rick Riordan at 7:57 AM The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_email The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Icon18_edit_allbkg

Monday, May 03, 2010

Red Pyramid in the News

As we approach the launch of The Red Pyramid tomorrow, some more great media features are crossing the wire. Check out the LA Times review, a Q&A in my hometown paper the San Antonio Express-News, and an interview for Scripps News. Learn more about the Kane Chronicles, and yes, a few tidbits about the upcoming Camp Half-Blood series, The Heroes of Olympus, too.

I just arrived in New York and am on my way to the Brooklyn Museum for a pre-launch media event. Brooklyn is a critical locale in The Red Pyramid -- headquarters of the Kane family and the 21st Nome of the House of Life. You'll understand what I mean when you read the book. The Brooklyn Museum also has one of the largest collections of Egyptian spellbooks in the world. I will try not to summon any monsters by accident...

Tomorrow is the launch day event at Symphony Space in Manhattan. As always, my web calendar has full tour details. I'll update you from the road. Happy reading!

Posted by Rick Riordan at

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Camp Half-Blood Brooklyn

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Blood-logo
Calling all demigods! Another branch of Camp Half-Blood is opening up this summer, right in Percy's home territory. Brownstone Books is starting Camp Half-Blood Brooklyn, and from what I've heard, it's going to be awesome. All you East Coast demigods who have been wishing you lived closer to Camp Half-Blood Austin or Atlanta, worry no more!

There's also an Egyptian camp planned, just in time for the start of The Kane Chronicles. Be sure to check out these amazing camp sessions, and thanks to Brownstone Books for hosting them!

Posted by Rick Riordan at

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Sun May 09, 2010 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 pm

This review is from the Lostentwife dot com.

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Posted by Lydia

May 8

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! 7090447 The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
Buy on Amazon
I had not intended to pick this book up. I wasn’t that impressed with The Lightning Thief (although I admit to not having read the rest of the Percy Jackson series – even though I own them). But I did end up picking up The Red Pyramid and about 5 chapters in was very glad I’d done so.
Some folks are saying they don’t enjoy this book as much as the Percy Jackson series. I can tell you right now, if it came to a contest between The Lightning Thief and The Red Pyramid, in my opinion, The Red Pyramid wins hands down. I loved the alternating narration between the two Kane children, Sadie and Carter. I loved the supporting characters of Bast, Horus and Isis. I really enjoyed Riordan making this book seem as if it were a story that were actually happening and pulling the readers into the story.
Too often there’s a big cliffhanger in books that make the wait for the next one seemingly unbearable. I enjoyed the great resolution in The Red Pyramid, and although it was enough to make me want to pick up the second book, it didn’t have me throwing up my hands in frustration bemoaning the fact that the next book isn’t due out for a while.
The only criticism I really have for the book is that it seems as if Riordan threw some action scenes in just to keep a readers attention – the book could have done with a few of them gone and a shorter story because it really started to drag a bit for the last half of the book. Too much of the same old – fight after fight and me wondering just how long a few days can possibly take!
That’s my only criticism though – and overall this is a fun book, educational with regards to the Egyptian gods, full of action, good choices made by children and a book I’ll be recommending my nieces and nephews read.
View all my reviews >>
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 7:47 pm

POSTS FROM RICK'S TWITTER FOR THE PAST WEEK.
camphalfblood

1. Snowing in Toronto...in May. Even the natives seem amazed. Off to Indigo Yorkdale for signing at 4PM. Going to be fun! about 4 hours ago via web
  2. Thx Little Shop of Stories for great event. 1200+ ppl, lots of fun! Off to Toronto tonight. 5:44 AM May 8th via web
  3. I battle Mongolian Death Worms? Lol. Sounds like a Percy chapter title. http://bit.ly/bBavtn I am so there. 5:43 AM May 8th via web
  4. Thx to Politics&Prose for great event. 1000+ ppl. Four-hour signing line, but everyone was so nice & patient! Now off to Atlanta. 4:32 AM May 7th via web
  5. Red Pyramid gets a starred review in School Library Journal: "A must-have book, and in multiple copies." Tonight, Politics & Prose in DC! 11:05 AM May 6th via web
  6. Pix from the Brooklyn Museum pre-launch event: http://bit.ly/dw9RSH Thx to Sara B. for nice Parade write-up: http://bit.ly/93Q64g 4:34 AM May 5th via web
  7. http://www.redpyramidpuzzle.com/ Win a trip to meet me on tour next fall! Many ppl logging on, server is slow atm, but keep trying. 7:21 AM May 4th via Twitterrific
  8. And a brilliant write-up in USA Today. 'Another towering Riordan tale of mythology.' Woohoo! 5:59 AM May 4th via Twitterrific
  9. Wall Street Journal on The Red Pyramid Happy launch day! Off to Disney HQ to sign books. 5:54 AM May 4th via Twitterrific
  10. LA Times on Red Pyramid: "Masterful mix of myth and modern." Alliteration FTW! 12:02 PM May 3rd via Twitterrific
  11. Just arrived in NY. Media event tonight @ Brooklyn Museum. Red Pyramid launches tomorrow. Get ready for Egyptian gods to be unleashed! 11:57 AM May 3rd via Twitterrific
  12. Brownstone Books to start Camp Half-Blood Brooklyn & Egypt Camp this summer. Too cool! 4:04 PM May 2nd via web
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 pm

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! Red-pyramid From Parade May 4, 2010
Rick Riordan Launches a New Series
by Sara Brzowsky

The first book in Rick Riordan’s brand new trilogy, The Kane Chronicles , is out today—which makes it a happy day for kids everywhere.

Riordan’s previous series, Percy Jackson & the Olympians, sold about 15 million copies in the U.S. alone. (It was also published in 34 other countries). My son and his friends devoured these five books based on Greek mythology. They loved the humor and adventure, and the way Riordan made the great mythological tales believable. You just couldn’t go wrong recommending the series. Parents love it when a writer gets their kids to read with enthusiasm (and I know at least one dad who couldn’t wait till his son finished each book so he could read it next). To many parents, Riordan himself is a hero.

The first book of the new series is titled The Red Pyramid. It’s based on Egyptian mythology, which Riordan says kids everywhere have been asking him to write about.

Riordan told this to a group of young fans at a lovely book party yesterday evening, hosted by the Disney Book Group at the Brooklyn Museum—which not coincidentally has the finest collection of Egyptian art in this country and one of the best in the world. The room was evocatively decorated with flickering candles around centerpieces of the book, while Middle Eastern music played in the background. My son was thrilled to attend with me and to meet Riordan, who was just so friendly and related to the kids so well. My son’s ears perked up when he heard that yet another new Riordan series will debut in October. Called The Heroes of the Olympus (Book 1 is The Lost Hero), it features some of the beloved Percy Jackson characters. There was a hint about Roman mythology. I can’t tell you anything definitive, only that excitement reigns.

Riordan jump-started the kids’ interest by sending them into the Egyptian galleries (supervised, of course) to search for three clues, involving a blue hippopotamus, a leonine goddess, and a battleaxe. (We never found the battleaxe.) He told the kids if they read the new book they’d learn why the calendar has 365 days, where the term Rx for a prescription originates and how the color red came to signal Stop. By the evenings end, many of the kids were already deeply engrossed.

Click here to see photos of the book party

See parents/adults love Rick too. It was an exotic exciting evening for everyone. suz
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 am

FROM SHELF AWARENESS DAILY NEWS
Books & Authors

Rick Riordan: The World as His Classroom

Rick Riordan first started thinking about ancient Egypt as a setting for a book while writing the second novel in his Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Sea of Monsters. He envisions The Kane Chronicles, #1: The Red Pyramid as the first in a trilogy, starring Carter, 14, and Sadie, 12, siblings who have been raised separately due to powerful bloodlines that trace back to the Egyptian pharaohs. It's a modern tale with roots in the distant past--and rife with magic. Riordan, a former teacher, comes across as an avid learner as much as a passionate instructor--whose student body has grown exponentially. The Kane Chronicles, #1: The Red Pyramid goes on sale today (Disney Book Group, May 4, 2010).

By now you must be good at plotting the overall arc for a storyline. Do you have all three Kane Chronicles mapped out?

It's a combination of planning it in advance and letting it unfold organically. I have the broad strokes figured out, I know the ending, but then I plan each book and the details always surprise me. Hopefully it's like alchemy, more than the sum of the parts.

Did you do a lot of research on where Egyptian artifacts are located around the globe?

Egypt is in the public consciousness; everyone knows about the pyramids and mummies, and central to the book is magic. For the Egyptians, magic can be summoned by these artifacts that are now spread all around the world. Everyone wants a piece of ancient Egypt, their obelisks and hieroglyphs. The idea of making this a global story--not just in the U.S. like Percy Jackson--was very appealing and emphasizes how huge Egypt really is in the modern imagination.

Did you begin with a character, a setting or, in this case, a period in history?

[This project] is something that had been brewing for a long time, even as early as when I was doing Sea of Monsters. As I talked to kids across the country, the one area they were all interested in and that fired their imaginations was ancient Egypt. Part of my philosophy as a teacher and writer is to pay attention to them. I took their ideas seriously. Then it was a matter of figuring out the premise, to make it funny, modern and relevant for kids. That's the challenge I'd had as a teacher: this happened 3,000 years ago, why should I care? How is it relevant to me? How can I make kids part of it and make it matter in a meaningful way--and not feel like you're in school.
The dynamic between Carter and Sadie nicely allows them to "show off" what they know and also impart information to readers.
It was important to me that the book have two narrators, one boy and one girl. I wanted each gender to have a touchstone in the series. Although the Percy Jackson books have been touted as boy books, that's not what you see at events; the audience is usually about half and half, boys and girls. It made sense that [Carter and Sadie] would be brother and sister. Having them alternate, they could contradict each other.

What prompted the idea to feature a mixed-race family?

On a very pragmatic level, they are loosely based on a brother and sister I'd taught in San Francisco. The way they self-identified was very interesting, and the way they interacted was interesting because they didn't see their heritage in the same way. On a broader level, I thought it was important to put Egypt in its context as not just a root of Western civilization. I think it's been appropriated by the European culture. It's an African heritage, and Egypt for hundreds of years had been a crossroads of cultures. A mixed-race family would have the same issues today that they had hundreds of years ago.
One especially poignant moment in the book is when his father tells Carter that "[f]airness does not mean everyone gets the same. Fairness means everyone gets what they need."
Carter's relationship with his dad is like mine with my son. I made Carter home-schooled because Haley was home-schooled with us during sixth and seventh grades. We were making sure he wasn't being isolated, that he was not too far out of the mix of his peers, but it was also amazing how much he could learn when all the distractions were taken away. I got closer to him at a time when most kids were pulling away from their parents. It does create an identity issue. Carter is a little out of synch. He's really smart, very capable, but in an average American middle school, he wouldn't have a clue how to interact in that environment.

What was your favorite discovery, during your research?

The House of Life, the ancient school of Egyptian magic--I'd had no idea that that existed. To know that magic pretty much originated in the culture of ancient Egypt--the way they practice magic is accurate in the book--it puts a different spin on the idea of magicians and the practice of magic. When they say the pharaoh's magicians came out and did their magic in front of Moses, that's who the magicians were. The House of Life reference was because they could heal with their spells, but they also made charms that protected the pharaohs--they were very busy.

And the hieroglyphs you represent in the book are actual hieroglyphs?

I did quite a bit of research, and had shelves of books on hieroglyphs and how magic pertained. The ancient Egyptians considered all writing magic. They had to be careful: if they created the word "cat," they had to deface it slightly, because they believed they could create a cat. The idea was that the ultimate form of magic was to speak and the world began. You see that influence in the Gospel of John: "In the beginning was the Word." All these ancient cultures dovetail, and they were all forming and evolving at the same time. --Jennifer M. Brown
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next