MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

+8
smoothmoves97
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
riczhang
Cennedy125
posiden#1god
Elliot
tinkerirock
Posidonsdaughter
12 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 Empty The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

THIS IS WHERE WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE NEW BOOK.

SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU READ THIS SITE YOU MAY LEARN DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO UNTIL YOU READ THE BOOK.

ALL POSTERS If you talk about the book contents AT ALL, start your post with a SPOILER ALERT!!!

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 am

Not surprised. I just hope it stays in the top 10 for awhile.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by posiden#1god Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:00 am

IT is still ok still not finished.
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:40 am

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Not surprised. I just hope it stays in the top 10 for awhile.

I'm fairly sure it will stay in the top 10 for a few months, and just look at PJO in the top 10 series for 151 weeks straight.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:43 am

Pjo o should stay at number one
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:56 am

posiden#1god wrote:Pjo o should stay at number one

It is at number one.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:08 am

I thought it got moved to number 2
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 pm

no thats TRP,

anyways, i think that rick did an excellent job in TRP because he used it to be more complex and use good ideas.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:14 pm

posiden#1god wrote:I thought it got moved to number 2

Get this straight.

Book/Series Week Before This Week

TRP #1 #2

PJO #2 #1
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 am

This article from the New York Times shows how adults are becoming more and more enamored with young adult books.
Children’s Books
Justice LeagueBy BRUCE HANDY Published: May 27, 2010The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 CYRUS_Sundance_120x60_v2

Two new children’s books from the brand-name writers Rick Riordan and John ­Grisham present special challenges for the adult reader — not that their publishers or target audiences care. But you, dear reader, are presumably not 11, so I offer this age-appropriate report.
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 Handy-t_CA0-articleInline

Illustration by Tin Salamunic

THE RED PYRAMID
The Kane Chronicles
By Rick Riordan

Rick Riordan, only a year removed from capping off his wildly popular five-volume “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series, now drops “The Red Pyramid,” the first installment in The Kane Chronicles. Here’s the twist: The earlier books posit a world in which the Greek gods have been relocated to the contemporary United States, whereas “The Red Pyramid” resurrects Isis, Horus and a host of other major and minor Egyptian deities, and this time the setting is more global — after all, Riordan is no longer writing in the hegemonic Bush era but rather in the multilateral age of Obama. But once again wisecracking adolescent heroes and their supernatural allies find themselves at the center of cosmic battles with nothing less than the fate of the world at stake.

The Percy Jackson books stood out for their sardonic, all-American sense of humor and even more so for their pell-mell pacing. Riordan writes the way Michael Bay directs, or would direct if Bay had ADHD, with eruptions of mayhem every few pages and exposition falling like hail. In this, it must be said, Riordan is not always parent-friendly. Say you are reading a Percy Jackson book to your children at bedtime and your mind begins to wander for even a single paragraph: you will find yourself cast adrift on a sea of churning narrative, having missed several plot points in the time it takes to wonder how many pages are left in the chapter and whether you’ll be able to kiss everyone good night while the Yankees game is still in early innings.

Some readers may also find themselves distracted by their admiration for Riordan’s many canny borrowings from the J. K. Rowling canon (itself hardly immune from debt). Like the Harry Potter series, the Percy Jackson books and the new Kane volume feature parallel supernatural worlds with their own laws and social mores, and a once-vanquished ultimate evil trying to reconstitute itself for a final assault on the forces of good.

Not that Riordan isn’t a funny, skilled and imaginative storyteller in his own right. But after seven books of Harry Potter and five of Percy Jackson, some parents and maybe even a few kids might welcome a chance to catch their breath.

Oh, what am I saying? Riordan fans young and old will eat this new book up. “The Red Pyramid” is in almost every way an improvement over its predecessors, deeper and more emotionally resonant, and with an underlying moral and philosophical semi-seriousness. (“Gods have great power, but only humans have creativity,” goes one saw; in this universe magic depletes its users, something like a nonrenewable resource.) None of which takes away from the thrills, as two estranged siblings, Carter and Sadie Kane — they narrate the story in alternating sections — are forced to team up and fight the evil god Set when their father, an Egyptologist (or is he?), disappears after a mysterious explosion in the British Museum. You see, Dad was using the Rosetta stone to try to unleash. . . . Well, my kids or your kids will be able to make sense of it. I’ll just quote from the text: “ ‘Right,’ I said. ‘We’re stuck in Washington, D.C. We have two days to make it to Arizona and stop a god we don’t know how to stop. And if we can’t, we’ll never see our dad or Amos again, and the world might end.’ ”
Wait, how’d we get from London to Washington? Suffice it to say that breathlessness notwithstanding, “The Red Pyramid” is wholly satisfying while also setting the table for what promises to be a rip-roaring saga with nasty villains, engaging love interests, high stakes, the usual dark secrets and a basketball-­playing baboon who loves the Lakers and eats only foods ending in o’s, as in Doritos, burritos and flamingos. That last is very much a Riordan touch.

Bruce Handy, a deputy editor at Vanity Fair, is writing a book about reading children’s literature as an adult and liking it.

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:13 am

Wonder if there is anyway to find out how many copies The Red Pyramid sold,cause I googled it and didn't find it.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't know either, but there was a million copies printed. Probably more now, but oh well.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 pm

There are 7 kids I know of that have the book so I think alot of people bought the books. Thanks suz for the info
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 am

YOU DON'T THINK COLLEGE STUDENTS READ PERCY JACKSON???

THIS ARTICLE IS FROM IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL DARTMOUTH IN NEW HAMPSHIRE.

BOOKED SOLID: Tips to make the most of summer reading
By Caitlin Kennedy, The Dartmouth Staff

Published on Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 5151_article_photo

As part of summer reading, Caitlin Kennedy recommends finding a new cherishable childhood book series like Rick Riodan's "Percy Jackson" series.

Courtesy Of Percyjacksonbr.Com

Spring term has flown by. Our friends at other (normal) schools have long since been released from the ivory towers of higher education and now, finally, it’s almost our turn. In less than one week, many of us will have packed our belongings in bare cardboard boxes and left Dartmouth behind for the summer.

I’m assuming that almost every Dartmouth student (yes, that means you!) will be able to set aside at least a little time for that lovely habit which was ingrained in us as wee, over-achieving tykes and that we haven’t been able to cut ever since: that addiction we refer to most affectionately as summer reading.

Thus, in lieu of a book review, I’ve decided to write my last column of the term as a guide to summer reading — what you should be reading, when you should be reading it and why — to help you extract the maximum benefit from your summer reading experience.

Step one: In the literary sense (but not the practical one), I start my summers out right: seven books in seven days. Yeah, that’s right. You know what I’m talking about.
Since J.K. Rowling penned her last epic novel — so, for like, two whole years now — I’ve spent the first weeks of my summers curled up in a ball on my bedroom floor, sucking my thumb and re-reading the “Harry Potter” series in its entirety. You should do this too.
You should do this because, in addition to freaking out your parents, alienating your friends, scaring your pets and ensuring that you will remain highly unproductive (read: lazy) for the rest of the summer, it will enable you to respond to your friends’ requests to hang out with things like, “Three Broomsticks or Hog’s Head?” and “Yeah, I could really use a butterbeer!” You should do it because you’ll laugh about these texts later, once the Potter-mania has subsided, and for a moment you’ll all just be together like Ron and Harry and Hermione, even if you’ve been strewn across the country and now most of the time you’re apart.
You should also do it because you can pretend you’re still 11 and maybe next month that much-awaited letter will come in the mail. You should do it because you’re just in college, really, and you still can. Life’s not that serious, at least not yet. You still can be a kid — if only for a little while.

Step two: By now, having finished the Harry Potter books and vicariously experienced a thrilling wizarding adventure, you should be suffering from cherished-childhood-book-series withdrawal.
This is a serious ailment, and the only remedy is to discover a new cherishable childhood book series and latch onto it with all you’ve got. May I suggest Rick Riordan’s “Percy Jackson” series? The books chronicle the exploits of a 12-year-old boy who is the spawn of the Greek god Poseidon and a mortal woman named Sally Jackson. The series is charming and engaging, and will be sure to fill your emotional void.

Plus, Riordan is prolific. On May 4, the author released “The Red Pyramid,” the first installment in a new series about a brother and sister descended from Egyptian deities (do you note a trend?). The book includes such epic one-liners as “Well, colossal fail, Dad,” not to mention “a near fatal attack with a spatula.”

The book begins with a “warning”: “The following is a transcript of a digital recording … The author makes no claim for the authenticity of the recording. It seems impossible that the two young narrators are telling the truth, but you, the reader, must decide for yourself.”
The narrative shifts between 14-year-old Carter Kane and his spunky younger sister, Sadie, with interjections in brackets when one sibling is not happy about what the other is saying (“Fine, Sadie. Call me the Carter-headed chicken. Happy?”). Mimicking sibling squalls perfectly, these bracketed asides alone are enough to make reading “The Red Pyramid” a worthwhile summer endeavor.

Step Three: Go to the public library. Now, I’m told that, contrary to popular belief, some of these are perfectly respectable. If that is the case with your local library, skip to step four. If you’re like me, however, then your library is great for two things: acquiring trashy young adult fiction and “In Search of Lost Time” by Marcel Proust. Think these two don’t go together? Think again.

My summer reading M.O. is to check out one long, supposedly edifying book and another I’m completely embarrassed to read. When the tough gets going with Dickens or Hawthorne, the trashy book provides a nice respite. (“Spirit Bound,” the fifth installment in the Vampire Academy series, was released on May 18. Prepare to suffer some serious judgment from your librarian.)

Step four: For additional summer reading material, check out NPR.org and look at the books section on the Arts page. NPR puts out dozens of lists recommending everything from newly released must-reads to scintillating beach reads to the best books published the previous year. As an avid NPR stalker, I can attest that their suggestions — unlike, perhaps, my own suggestions — never disappoint.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Wow... everyone loves Rick Riordan!!!!! Smile Smile
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by Percyrox12 Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:21 pm

I LOVE The Red Pyramid even though I am on chapter two I love it. The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 6 Icon_study
Percyrox12
Percyrox12
Mortal
Mortal

Female Number of posts : 72
Humor : NU NU the friendly whale........
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I love The Red Pyramid too!!! I'm on Chapter 10.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:19 pm

I finished Red Pyramid a few weeks ago, and I loved it! Rick's interpretation of Egyptian magic was incredible.
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 pm

The book is excellent and I love it. But if you have a chance to buy or borrow the audio book DO. The persons performing and the way Rick wrote the book, you really think you are hearing Carter and Sadie talking. I absolutely love it and have listened to it at least 4 times. Pendragon is going a little crazy, and I just keep playing it.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 am

Haha poor Pendragon... not really. I would love to listen to the audiobook. I have looked for it on YouTube, but no luck thus far. Sad
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 am

Going to have to get it at the Library if you say it's that good.

Anyways, today I just gave out a bajillion copies of TRP for year end presents to friends, teachers, and our Library.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:43 am

Don't go youtube or other "free" places they are ripping off the artists and businesses that made it. buy or borrow. the libraries should all have it.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 am

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Don't go youtube or other "free" places they are ripping off the artists and businesses that made it. buy or borrow. the libraries should all have it.

I'm not though.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:23 am

My library doesn't have it... SadSad
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:15 am

smoothmoves97 wrote:My library doesn't have it... SadSad

Ours doesn't either... I submitted a request so I have a feeling that we'll be getting at least 1 copy very soon.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Yeah! I just put a request in for my library to get TRP audio book.
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next