MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

+8
smoothmoves97
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
riczhang
Cennedy125
posiden#1god
Elliot
tinkerirock
Posidonsdaughter
12 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Empty The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

THIS IS WHERE WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE NEW BOOK.

SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU READ THIS SITE YOU MAY LEARN DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO UNTIL YOU READ THE BOOK.

ALL POSTERS If you talk about the book contents AT ALL, start your post with a SPOILER ALERT!!!

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by tinkerirock Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 pm

awesome!! i started reading TRP yesterday, and i'm almost half-way through. its getting really good!!!

SPOILER ALERT::
**the thing im confused about: how can Bast be on Earth as a Goddess when the other gods have hosts?
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Icon_post_target_unread by tinkerirock Today at 16:42
omg i imagined set really different, and carter different, too. sadie is the same for me, and isis is different, too. Bast is sorta what i imagined.

*Hey! Please read my new story, The Hidden Truth . Please review, or I won't continue!

http://mnfanfiction.uuuq.com/viewstory.php?sid=39&chapter=1

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 80-80
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Stars5
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Subhead_heroesandgods

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_carter[/url]
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_sadie[/url]
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_bast[/url]
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_horus[/url]
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_isis[/url]
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_108_char_set[/url]

• The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Module_300_char_set
    The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Icon_post_target by posiden#1god Today at 15:25this is how i picture set wierd is this all the picture's that are releasted of the people in the book.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon May 10, 2010 11:13 pm

I saw the quote in the book on Suz. signature, but I couldn't help wondering was Amos referring to The Greek Gods? I know Zeus has ruled it out, but he did say OTHER GODS. SO what do you guys think?

If anyone is interested I found a typo on pg.69 of my version(UK), it's where Amos says to Carter Merry Christmas on the Terrace. The word Christmas is spelled without the i.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Hum ill check my version of my book
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue May 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes, he is referring to Olympus and all the Greek gods, and that Egyptian magicians were smart to stay out of Manhattan.

In chapter 25 Thoth mentions Hermes that the two of them are nothing alike. Meaning that the gods all exist in the same universal world just like Rick in our 3/14/10 interview said they did.

I feel like Rick couldn't help but give the Greek gods some nod in this book.

You are right in the American version P. 69 Amos's quote has Christmas spelled wrong, without the letter I.

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Tue May 11, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 pm

oh yea! i thought it was just the eBook reader that i bought it on! okay... koolll.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 am

ooh you have an e book, wow.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 am

Ok, cause I though he said parallel universe.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Wed May 12, 2010 1:11 am

When Khufu fell fron the mansion i felt so bad for him and Philip! The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Icon_cry
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 12, 2010 1:23 am

posiden#1god wrote:When Khufu fell fron the mansion i felt so bad for him and Philip! The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Icon_cry

I kinda felt bad for the set animal. He got shoved in a lock, so I have this story, once at my school we had this kid who got locked into a locker, and he was crying so bad, so I felt bad for the set animal.(not me, and not someone I know)
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 am

(Did you help the kid get out?)

I do too i felt bad Set is a major jerk!
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 am

posiden#1god wrote:(Did you help the kid get out?)

I do too i felt bad Set is a major jerk!

I liked the on my mother's starry elbows part.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 am

IM sorry but what?
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 am

posiden#1god wrote:IM sorry but what?

When Set is forced to swear on his name, and Ra's, he adds his mother's starry elbows.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 am

oooh.

has anyone thought of an answer for the following question?:

Bast is on Earth as a Godess, but the other Gods have hosts. Why doesn't she? Like she said that Muffin wasn't her host anymore, because she's her whole goddess form. so like isn't that not-pure or something??
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Muffin was her host in animal form. She appears as a human for Cater and Sadie 's Sake. Rick said the gods could take on various appearances. But in the river she fights to her last ounce of strength and yet pushed Muffin out of the water to save her host.

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I found another Greek reference. You know that Aphophis is actually a Greek name? IT is the name that the Greeks gave to Apep, which is actually the Egyptian name.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu May 13, 2010 2:22 am

give us the page number please.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 am

Folks see college students love Rick too. I hope our college,high school, and middle school students on MN finish the year well.

The Village Wordsmithy -- by Murcury Gray
Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New Books, Author Talks, and Fanfic

Let me begin this post by saying that I never buy new books, and when I do, I buy paperbacks. I'm a poor college student and both space and hardcovers are expensive. So when I shell out twenty-six dollars to get a hardcover copy of Rick Riordan's book signed by him (in person!!), it's kind of a big deal for a lot of reasons. I was just as excited as all the ten year olds I was sharing the theatre with, and they were really excited. I got there a half-hour early (the doors opened an hour early) and sat reading my new book against the background of the musical gymnastics of the Tivoli Theater organist and the excited murmurings of the nearly 800 people who'd come to listen to what Mr. Riordan had to say. ( I also observed that I was probably the only college student in the audience, so I don't know what that says about me... or about my fellow college students, for that matter.)

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 N343129I'm fortunate enough to live in a heavily suburban area with at least one indie bookstore, Anderson's Bookshop, within reach. They're wonderful people there, and they really love what they do. They also bring A LOT of authors to come and sign books, and I got lucky -- Rick Riordan was one of them. So I paid my money and bought my book and went to go hear him speak. I guessed from his blog that he's a really laid-back, cool kind of guy, and seeing him in person confirmed that for me. (Truth be told, I wouldn't have minded having this guy for a middle school language arts teacher; the teaching profession has lost a special one there.) He basically book-talked his new book, The Red Pyramid, which I thought was funny, since these kids have already both bought it and dragged their parents out on a school night to let them hear the author speak. They're not the ones that need the book 'sold' to them on why it's a good read. But it was good to hear a well-done book talk.

After his prepared remarks, he took a few questions from the audience, most of which I took notes on if I didn't know the answer already. (Ten-year olds ask some really obvious questions sometimes.)

He says he was inspired to write about Ancient Egypt because that was always popular with his students while he was teaching. "Maybe it's the mummies, maybe it's the pyramids -- I don't know exactly why." It takes him about a year to write a whole story, but he's trying to shorten that to six months now that he's writing both the next two books in the Kane Chronicles and the new Camp Half-Blood Series Heroes of Olympus. The title is always the last thing he writes and the he really made my day by reaffirming something I'm going to share with my writing campers at the end of June.

He said that if there was one thing that he'd recommend to new writers it would be to outline everything that's going to happen in the book before you start writing. That way, he explains, you'll never be stuck on where the story will go next. He talked about how he started writing when he was twelve and there are a lot of stories he never finished, but that's because you're just practicing and you're learning how to write.

A real life example of prewriting! Fantastic! I was really excited for that.

Anyway, I've had a post-it note with a question for Riordan all ready and waiting on my desk since I found out he was speaking at Anderson's -- it was a good question, too, I think. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to ask it to the big group because I think there was a little ageism going on with the microphone lady, but I guess that's what I get for being a college student going to a young adult book signing. The question was this:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Mr. Riordan, on your blog you've made several posts about YouTube videos of tapes of Carter and Sadie Kane that fans have made themselves from the audio clip posted on your website and you say that 'it all must mean something.' I was wondering if you could expand on what you meant by that and what you think of other fan-produced works like fanart and fanfiction based on your work?</BLOCKQUOTE>

Needless to say, I didn't have time to ask all of this in the signing line, so I clipped it down to a very simplistic version of my original question.

Scene.

Me: Mr. Riordan, I have a question. What do you think of fanfiction? [had to add the 'question' marker since I obviously looked old enough not to be the one getting the book signed for myself]

RR: *slightly stressed face, appropriate for a man who's had to sign several hundred books in the space of two hours* Well, you know I can't read any of it, for reasons of copyright and all that, but I don't...I mean...I... I don't like it. It's like someone else trying on your clothes. *gestures with hands as if indicating he is trying to get something slimy and disgusting off them.*

Me: Trying on your clothes. That's a good one. Thanks! *moves along in line and writes this down in notebook*

End Scene.

And it was a good one. In fact, it was a great metaphor. Writing fanfiction and using someone else's characters is exactly like trying on someone else's clothes. I don't think he'd ever gotten that question before (His lack of an immediate answer would seem to suggest this) and I'm glad I asked it for that reason. There are a dozen better ways I might have asked it, whether he was impressed or flattered that children love his characters so much that they want to write adventures of their own for him, but I didn't, and I think that means I got an honest answer.

Does this mean I'm going to take down my PJO fic because I have it from the author himself that he disapproves? Nope. The way I figure, my one lonely PJO fic uses a character Riordan himself used for about a paragraph, and my story uses characters exclusive to PJO for a small fraction of the story. I think it's a fair exchange, more like borrowing a pair of socks from a friend after yours were soaked through than stealing a favorite t-shirt. You return the socks when you're done and thank him for the gesture.

I had a lot of time on the drive home to extend my metaphor, and this is what I came up with.

If writing fanfiction is like trying on someone else's clothes, then isn't writing fanfiction about a dead author's works something like second-hand clothes shopping?

Think about it. Jane Austen's dresses are having the ride of their life right now if that's the case.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 am

Posidonsdaughter wrote:give us the page number please.

There is none, everytime Aphophis is mentioned he is mentioned as either a chaos creature or Aphophis. But, when I searched him out, it came out as Apep. I got it from this link here. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/apep.htm
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu May 13, 2010 3:59 am

<TABLE sizcache="3" sizset="2">From the Egyptian Tourism Board

<TR sizcache="3" sizset="2">
<td sizcache="3" sizset="2">Apophis (Apep), the Enemy of Re

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Apep2

With the possible exception of Aten only during the Amarna Period, no single Egyptian god was considered to be really all powerful. Many lived with the threat of destruction, and even one of the greatest of Egyptian gods faced such threats every single night. Apophis (Egyptian Apep) was the great adversary of the sun god, Re. and was the very embodiment of the powers of dissolution, darkness and non-being. Hence, he was a sort of void or "black hole" forcing those he swallowed into that non-existence which the Egyptians feared so greatly. Being completely outside of the natural world, he was believed to require no nourishment other than to "breathe" his own shouts. He was a huge serpent who was thought to have existed at the beginning of time in the waters of primeval chaos prior to creation and his power was so great that it was thought that he would continue to exist in an endlessly malevolent cycle of attack, defeat and resurgent attack. He is thus known by many epithets, ranging from evil lizard, opponent and enemy to world encircler and serpent of rebirth. During the [url=http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm#Roman Period]Roman period[/url], he was interpreted as "he who was spat out" and linked to the saliva of the goddess Neith.

There is no evidence of this god prior to the [url=http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm#Middle Kingdom]Middle Kingdom[/url]. He seems to have come into existence in the Egyptian mind during the troubled times just after the pyramid age. Most of the god's mythology seems to have been developed mostly during the [url=http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm#New Kingdom]New Kingdom[/url] in funerary texts. There are various accounts of this malevolent force, but overall, as the sun god made his nightly voyage through the underworld and each morning as the solar barque was about to emerge into the daylight, it was attacked by the great serpent whose terrifying roar echoed through the darkness. The serpent was said to hinder the passage of the solar barque by means of its coils which are described as "sandbanks", and also by gorging the waters of the underworld river in order to attempt to strand the barque of Re.

Apophis was sometimes equated with Seth, the god of chaos, yet the nature of Apophis seems to have always been dark and threatening, while Seth could at times be beneficial. In some texts, Seth was even enlisted by the sun god in order to defeat the serpent. According to some mythologies, Apophis hypnotized Re and all of his entourage who sailed with him, with the exception of Seth, who resisted the serpent's deadly stare and repulsed him with the thrust of a great spear.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 Apep1

However, in other accounts, Re's companions and even the dead themselves, who could transform themselves into a form of the god, Shu, were involved in this cyclical battle for the survival of creation and order. Most notably, in the Book of Gates, Isis, Neith and Serket, together with other minor deities and some forms of monkey helped capture the monster with magical nets. Afterwards, he was restrained by deities including the earth god Geb and the sons of Horus, who cut his body into pieces, though each night he is revived to attack once more. In fact, in some myths, the sun god is encircled or swallowed by the serpent who later disgorges him as a metaphor of rebirth and renewal.

Apophis, like Seth, was also associated with various frightening natural events such as unexplained darkness such as solar eclipse, storms and earthquakes. Hence, he was always an underlying threat to the very stability of the cosmos.

Apophis is usually depicted in funerary texts and other settings as a great serpent, sometimes with tightly compressed, spring-like coils to emphasize his vast size. He is sometimes described as being over sixteen meters in length, with the first section of his body made of flint. He is usually shown being restrained, dismembered or in the process of being destroyed, often by multiple knives. In the tomb of Ramesses VI in the Valley of the Kings on the West Bank at Thebes (modern Luxor), Apophis is shown with twelve heads above its back representing those he has swallowed who are freed, if only briefly, when he is vanquished. Once Re has passed by the snake, the heads are destined to return into the body of Apophis until freed again, only briefly, the next night. In the private tombs and funerary papyri, and other scene of a different type is found where Re or Hathor appear in feline form in order to slay the serpent by cutting it up with a knife. The serpent is also symbolically portrayed in some temple scenes (at Dendera, Deir el-Bahri, Luxor and Philae). There, the king strikes a circular ball-like object which represents the evil "eye of Apophis".

Apophis was, of course, never worshipped. However, he was included in various cults as a god or demon to be protected against. Various magical texts and rituals were produced to combat his effects upon the world. In fact, the text that Egyptologists refer to as the "Book of Apophis" was a collection of these magical spells dating to the late [url=http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm#New Kingdom]New Kingdom[/url], though the best preserved example, known as the Bremner-Rhind Papyrus now in the British Museum, was produced in the 4th century BC. These are spells for the "overthrowing of Apophis", which provide protection from the powers symbolized by this deity or from snakes which could be viewed as minor yet dangerous manifestations of the monster. In the [url=http://www.touregypt.net/ehistory.htm#Late Period]Late Period[/url], these spells were read in temples daily to protect the world from the threat of the sun god's arch enemy. An associated ritual involved cutting into pieces and burning with fire a wax model of the serpent. Other rituals involved drawing a picture of the serpent in green on a new piece of papyrus, which was then sealed in a box and spat upon for times before being set on a fire.

However, the deceased also needed to be protected from Apophis, and there were references to seventy-seven papyri-rolls which are given to a dead person by means of a spell, containing formulas for bringing Apophis to his place of execution where he is cut up, crushed and consumed by fire.

As a final point, snakes were certainly not seen always a threatening creatures in ancient Egypt, as they seem to have been in other societies. In fact, they were frequently seen as protective and it was Mehen, another snake deity who helped protect the sun god in the underworld. Likewise, it was the cobra goddess Wadjet who helped protect the king.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 am

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 2 RR_bigger camphalfblood

1. Hot off the presses: Red Pyramid #1 olist. Yahoo!
    n NYT children's bestseller list. PJO #1 on series

Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

I wonder where he got the info, cause the NYT is still showing the books from the week ending May.1 to be published on May.16.

As of May. 17/2010 The NYT is showing TRP as its top Children's book, and PJO as its top series.

Last edited by riczhang on Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Ditto I checked last night after posting it, very strange.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next