MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

+6
TheAravis
Posidonsdaughter
rjvg92
riczhang
tinkerirock
Christof
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Empty Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by Christof Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 am

Introduction:
The Percy Jackson essay contest is now starting! Be creative, do your best, and you will have a big chance of winning. Read this entire post first: it contains important information.

Contest Description:
In this contest, you will chose one of the 4 prompts listed below and write a essay about that prompt. Be sure to answer the prompts as completely and carefully as possible. Be sure to back up your arguments with evidence.

The Prompts:

1. How would the change in fate of one of the heroes (Luke, Silena, Beckendorf, or Zoe) have made the PJO series better? Why?
  2. If Luke's mother had not been mentally ill, because she tried to become the oracle; would Luke have not hated his father and become possessed by Kronos? Or would he have still hated the gods? Why?
  3. In the beginning of Titan's Curse, Thalia hates the hunters of Artemis. But by the end of the book, she agrees to become their lieutenant. Apart from wanting not to turn 16, why does she do this?
  4. Unlike other monsters, Mrs. O'Leary is not "evil". Why? Be creative.

The requirements:

1. The essay must be at least 200 words. Once you have written 200 words, keep on writing. There is no maximum word count, so write as much as you need to in order to have a good essay.
  2. Include proper spelling and grammar when you write this essay. We don't have time to edit every spelling mistake that you make. Bad spelling and grammar
    will only hurt you.

3. Get your parent's/guardians permission (if you are under 18). We will have to collect your address, and we want to make sure that it's OK.
  4. If you win you will have to supply your real name and address in order to receive the prize.
  5. If you are a staff member of MortalNet, you can not enter.
  6. You can only submit one essay.
  7. The winning essays will be posted on MortalNet.

How to Enter:
Private Message (PM) Posidonsdaughter with your essay. You will need to have a forum account in order to do this.

NOTE: If your essay gets lost, you should keep a copy on your computer after you submit it as backup.

The Deadline:
We will stop accepting essays by July 15th, 2010. That should give you enough time to write your essay.

The Prizes:
The
p
rizes are a signed copy of THE RED PYRAMID, a CD audio copy of THE RED PYRAMID, and a signed paperback copy of THE LIGHTNING THIEF. The prizes will be chosen by the winner order. (If the submitted works are so superior that we have ties additional prizes will be awarded.)

Winners will have to give their name and address to receive the prize. We will try to get your prize to you as soon as the winners are announced.

If you need help:
We
want everybody to do their best, so if you want some help with your essay please PM me (christof) or Richard (riczhang). Please note: we are happy to help you with spelling, developing your ideas, providing constructive criticism, but we aren't going to write your essay for you. So please don't send us an essay that is absurb and says "I like
Mrs. Oleary" and say "Can you fix the errors?" We well help you, but you have to do most of the work.

Judging:

The judges will be Suzanne (Posidonsdaughter), Christof (christof), and Richard (riczhang).

good luck everybody. We are looking forward to reading your essays Smile

UPDATE: we are giving you some more time to finish your essays. If you have not submitted one yet, you need to get it in by July 20th. So hurry up, and get those essays in.

Last edited by Christof on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Imortal Parent : Kronos
Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2008-12-20

Back to top Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Empty Re: Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by tinkerirock Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 am

when you mean that would luke still go against the gods if his mom wasn't ill, do you also mean to explain that if she wasn't ill, how luke wouldn't go against the gods?
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Empty Re: Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by riczhang Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 am

Just means that if Luke's mom wasn't mentally disturbed by her visions, and Luke grew up like a normal person except for monsters will he still have turned to Kronos?
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 pm

though how luke would have gone againsed the gods would have been a interesting way to look at it, and if you added that to your essay, that would definitely give you extra credit and increase your chances of winning.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rjvg92 Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm

i just sent my entry. when i sent it, does it really remain in the outbox? and was it sent?
rjvg92
rjvg92
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Athena
Male Number of posts : 4
Humor : it's better to read than to watch - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S PERCY
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 pm

rjvg92 wrote:i just sent my entry. when i sent it, does it really remain in the outbox? and was it sent?

It will remain in the outbox, until the Recipient logs on/reads your PM.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Reminder: write those essays and get them in as soon as possible. If you need help, PM me or Richard.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:40 pm

i thought the deadline was the 15th
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:18 pm

it is the 15th... of July. It's just that I would recommend that you get them in sooner rather than later.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 am

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Kopfschuettel Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Sleep Hey where are those entries? Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Icon_question I keep checking my PM but have only gotten a few entries. Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Confused Come on people get writing and send in some good stuff. Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Icon_study --- Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Icon_biggrin Thank you. Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! Herz
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm

ATTENTION EVERYBODY.

First of all please get those essays in, quickly. You don't have a lot of time left.

Second of all, I have been looking through the few essays that we got, and I just want to point out one thing: a lot of the essays that we have gotten go like this:

I think _________ because this happened and this happened and this happened and that is why I think _______.

Please. If I want to know what happens, I would read the books. Make sure that you tell us why what happened is important, and add your own thoughts and opinions.

One more thing, please use some creativity when wrighting the beginning of your essay and start it off with something other than "I think".

If you are reading this post and realising that your essay needs some work, you can send an updated version in again. Also, you can ask us for help if you need/want it Smile
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 pm

OKAY, I'M ON VACATION IN HOUSTON, AND I HAVE TO AGREE WITH CHRISTOF. YOU HAVE 17 DAYS LEFT. Please folks don't don't wait until July 15th to get your essay in. Remember you have two assistants to help you work your drafts in Christof and Richard. If you have already submitted it, but want assistance you can still get it. However, Christof and Richard will not be able to help you if you wait until the 14th or 15th of July.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:23 pm

I will be able to get back to you fairly quickly on your essays except on the following days, from Today to July 1st,(Friend's house, Boating, and Flying)
and July 8-9th.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAravis Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:02 pm

The Luke idea looks interesting. Maybe I'll write one.

But it'd be like.. homework.

TheAravis
TheAravis
Minor Demigod
Minor Demigod

Imortal Parent : Demeter
Female Number of posts : 485
Humor : The Walrus is Paul. -John Lennon, Glass Onion
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

TheAravis wrote:The Luke idea looks interesting. Maybe I'll write one.

But it'd be like.. homework.

Well it takes not alot of time, cause I did my sampler in 15 minutes.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

yea i did mine like 5 in the morning, but it turned out great.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Attention Everybody! There is not a lot of time left. Get those essays in, quick. We may offer a extensions, but that does not mean that we will.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:48 pm

estimated counting--how many essays r entered all ready??
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm

almost 199- haha, we still need one more person to make it to 200. it's intimidating
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 pm

That's member to mortalnet not essays. There are over a half dozen, just counting off the top of my head, without checking.
TODAY IS THE SEVENTH AND YOU HAVE 8 DAYS GO DO IT SO PLEASE WIRTE THEM SOON.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 pm

we are extending the competition to july 20th, so get those essays in.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Come on guys get them in, there's already lots of great essays and there's only 5 days left until the contest closes. so now's your chance to get your essay in before the contest closes.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:31 am

I HAVE A BUNCH OF GREAT PRIZES READY TO SEND TO OUR WINNERS, SO GET WRITING.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Christof Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:08 pm

OK, it's july 20th, we are going to start judging now.
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

ESSAYS WILL BE ACCEPTED UP TO MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

YOU HAVE NO TIME LEFT WRITE IT NOW!
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next