MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

+6
TheAravis
Posidonsdaughter
rjvg92
riczhang
tinkerirock
Christof
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! - Page 2 Empty Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by Christof Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Introduction:
The Percy Jackson essay contest is now starting! Be creative, do your best, and you will have a big chance of winning. Read this entire post first: it contains important information.

Contest Description:
In this contest, you will chose one of the 4 prompts listed below and write a essay about that prompt. Be sure to answer the prompts as completely and carefully as possible. Be sure to back up your arguments with evidence.

The Prompts:

1. How would the change in fate of one of the heroes (Luke, Silena, Beckendorf, or Zoe) have made the PJO series better? Why?
  2. If Luke's mother had not been mentally ill, because she tried to become the oracle; would Luke have not hated his father and become possessed by Kronos? Or would he have still hated the gods? Why?
  3. In the beginning of Titan's Curse, Thalia hates the hunters of Artemis. But by the end of the book, she agrees to become their lieutenant. Apart from wanting not to turn 16, why does she do this?
  4. Unlike other monsters, Mrs. O'Leary is not "evil". Why? Be creative.

The requirements:

1. The essay must be at least 200 words. Once you have written 200 words, keep on writing. There is no maximum word count, so write as much as you need to in order to have a good essay.
  2. Include proper spelling and grammar when you write this essay. We don't have time to edit every spelling mistake that you make. Bad spelling and grammar
    will only hurt you.

3. Get your parent's/guardians permission (if you are under 18). We will have to collect your address, and we want to make sure that it's OK.
  4. If you win you will have to supply your real name and address in order to receive the prize.
  5. If you are a staff member of MortalNet, you can not enter.
  6. You can only submit one essay.
  7. The winning essays will be posted on MortalNet.

How to Enter:
Private Message (PM) Posidonsdaughter with your essay. You will need to have a forum account in order to do this.

NOTE: If your essay gets lost, you should keep a copy on your computer after you submit it as backup.

The Deadline:
We will stop accepting essays by July 15th, 2010. That should give you enough time to write your essay.

The Prizes:
The
p
rizes are a signed copy of THE RED PYRAMID, a CD audio copy of THE RED PYRAMID, and a signed paperback copy of THE LIGHTNING THIEF. The prizes will be chosen by the winner order. (If the submitted works are so superior that we have ties additional prizes will be awarded.)

Winners will have to give their name and address to receive the prize. We will try to get your prize to you as soon as the winners are announced.

If you need help:
We
want everybody to do their best, so if you want some help with your essay please PM me (christof) or Richard (riczhang). Please note: we are happy to help you with spelling, developing your ideas, providing constructive criticism, but we aren't going to write your essay for you. So please don't send us an essay that is absurb and says "I like
Mrs. Oleary" and say "Can you fix the errors?" We well help you, but you have to do most of the work.

Judging:

The judges will be Suzanne (Posidonsdaughter), Christof (christof), and Richard (riczhang).

good luck everybody. We are looking forward to reading your essays Smile

UPDATE: we are giving you some more time to finish your essays. If you have not submitted one yet, you need to get it in by July 20th. So hurry up, and get those essays in.

Last edited by Christof on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Imortal Parent : Kronos
Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2008-12-20

Back to top Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! - Page 2 Empty Re: Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 am

I wrote mine!
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid! - Page 2 Empty Re: Essay Contest: With Prizes That Include a Signed Copy of The Red Pyramid!

Post by riczhang Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am

smoothmoves97 wrote:I wrote mine!

Like right now, or already done?

Sorry I've been all MCC today.(Out of it)
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:42 am

Already done.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 am

Get them in like only 2 hours left. Suz is in EST(East Coast time) so 2 hours left to get them in.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 am

How many have sent in essays already?
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 am

quite a few. There are some really good ones, just so everyone knows.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:58 am

Awesome! What day will the winners be announced?
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 am

not decided yet.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Very suspenseful. Smile
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 pm

I cant wail to find out
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

PATIENCE
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamsnackbar Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Can you post a list of the people who's essays you got? Because I sent mine before the first deadline and apparently it didn't get through!!!!
thedamsnackbar
thedamsnackbar
Mortal
Mortal

Female Number of posts : 53
Humor : In search of the dam snack bar :P
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 am

Don't worry I got it. And I am listing the esssays without the author's name for judging. I have everyone's, yours too!
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamsnackbar Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:35 am

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Don't worry I got it. And I am listing the esssays without the author's name for judging. I have everyone's, yours too!

Smile
thedamsnackbar
thedamsnackbar
Mortal
Mortal

Female Number of posts : 53
Humor : In search of the dam snack bar :P
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:56 am

Glad to make you happy.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 pm

I can't wait to find out, but...
Posidonsdaughter wrote:PATIENCE
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:12 am

when is the winner announced again?
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 am

yea. i wanna see who it is.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:51 am

I can wait as long as i find out
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:21 pm

We have the winners. this is now locked
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2