WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES

Go down

WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES Empty WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:34 am

FIRST WE WOULD TO THANK EVERYONE WHO ENTERED THE ESSAY CONTEST. Thank you for the time and effort you put into your essays and making our contest so good.

Prizes will be:

an autographed hardbound copy of THE RED PYRAMID

a CD audio book copy of THE RED PYRAMID

an autographed paperback copy of THE LIGHTNING THIEF

THE FIRST PLACE WINNER - will have their choice of the 3 prizes.

THE SECOND PLACE WINNER - will have their choice of the remaining prizes.

THE THIRD PLACE WINNER - will receive the remaining prize.

Winners will have until 8/10/10 to private message Suzanne - Posidonsdaughter, with your choice of a prize and your address, otherwise they will be assigned and sent out.

If I do not have your address and do not hear from you by 9/1/10, the prize will be revoked and go to the Honorable Mention essay winner.

FIRST PLACE ESSAY WINNER -- TheAravis

SECOND PLACE ESSAY WINNER -- Thedamsnackbar

THIRD PLACE ESSAY WINNER -- Clevarian

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:44 am; edited 3 times in total

"You love me...Real or not real?"
"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES Empty Re: WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES

Post by riczhang on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:40 am

Congrats to everyone who won.

President of the Academy of Visual Arts & Pictures and host of the first Profile Picture Awards.

Random Fact of the Month: The Last Olympian has an ISBN number of : 978-142310147-5

Random Fact Quote of the Month:"Heavens no," Amos said. "I hate gnomes, They smell horrible."

Riczhang's Random word of the month: Procure: to get possession of : obtain by particular care and effort
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 am

I'll have the essays up in a few minutes.

"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 am

Yeah!! Congrats to everyone!!
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:30 am

The 3 top essays were all on the same topic:

If Luke's mother had not been mentally ill, because she tried to become the oracle; would Luke have not hated his father and become possessed by Kronos? Or would he have still hated the gods? Why?

First place essay by TheAvaris

Male. Tall. Blond. Half-blood. Demigod. Son of Hermes. Twisted. Devious. Hated. Hater. Anti-hero.

Evil.

All of the above can be used to describe Luke Castellan. And more than a few are not well-liked traits.

But where did this start? Was it what began as harmless teasing? Did Luke Castellan hear voices? No, and no. The problem was his childhood. His mother, May Castellan was his one and only guardian.

Such would be wonderful if May Castellan never attempted to become the Oracle of Delphi. But she did, and she was rejected. She wasn't a virgin, after all. She had given birth to Luke. But the cost of rejection was high: She lost her sanity. She was able to see the grim future of her son in flashes. Her eyes would turn green, and she would break down. Even when she could not see the flashes, she was still very disturbed. Luke was afraid of his mother. She was crazy.

So he ran away from home at the age of nine. While on the run, he met two other runaways, Thalia Grace and Annabeth Chase. Soon they were accompanied by a satyr, Grover Underwood. Eventually, they found themselves at Camp Half-Blood, which, obviously, was a camp for half-bloods. Unfortunately, when they reached camp, Thalia was dying because of a group of monsters that were after them. Zeus, her immortal father, preserved her as a tree. Luke grieved, having lost his best friend.

Luke soon became the pride and joy of his father, Hermes. Then he was offered a quest: to take a golden apple from the tree at the Garden of Hesperides. Luke was glad to be given his quest, but when he came back, scarred and apple-less, he wondered why they gave him that quest, since Hercules had already completed the task.

Then one day, a boy appeared. A boy by the name of Percy Jackson. He was accused of a crime: stealing Zeus's lightning bolt. Eventually, Percy was aquitted, and when he came back, Luke invited Percy to train with him in the forest. There, he summoned a scorpion to poison Percy. But the plan failed when Percy was saved. And then it became obvious whom Luke was working for: Kronos.

Why would Luke, Luke Castellan, the apple of his father's eye, decide to side with the Titans? For revenge. He was forced to live with his disturbed mother and wasn't even visited by his father, Hermes. In fact, he had never even met him. In his view, the gods didn't care for their half-human children. After all, some demigods never even got claimed.

But, eventually, Luke repented. On his deathbed. He killed himself with a knife, bringing down Kronos with him, because Kronos's being was inside him. So, that was the end of Luke. He had died a hero's death, on Mount Olympus.

But what if May Castellan never attempted to become Oracle? What if she kept her sanity? What would happen then? After all, with her sanity, May Castellan was a kind, cheerful person.

Would Thalia and Annabeth be killed? For Thalia it would not be likely, since she was the daughter of one of the Big Three: Zeus. And she was still a tough girl.

Then, what of Annabeth? Would she live? The chances are 50-50 at most. She was only seven when she ran away, but she was tough, cunning, and brave. And Thalia could still find her, even if she was without Luke.

And Luke. Luke would have grown up happier, and maybe even prove to be a valuable ally for Perseus Jackson. He would never had run away, and would stay living with his mother. She would care for him and send him to camp when the time was right. His life would be a million times happier. He might of even lived longer.

That did not mean Kronos would never rise to power. Luke was not irreplaceable. The gods were not exactly the best parents, and many of their demigod children felt abandoned and unloved. Kronos could easily use the same plan he used with Luke. The prophecy could not be avoided.

Of course, you could still say that if May Castellan listened to Hermes's protests against becoming the Oracle, things would have played out very differently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

second place essay by Thedamsnackbar

A child's entire being mainly depends on how their parents treats them. If the parent is there for the child and cares for them, the child will be a caring person too, but if the parent is not there for the child and or if the parent hurts them or never even pays attention to them, they will start to rebel and become an angry, easily maneuverable person when they grow up, this is what happened to Luke. Even though his mother did try to care for her only child, her illness and Hermes, Luke's Dad, not telling him why this had been occurring, made Luke a perfect minion and later, host for Kronos.

Before The Last Olympian, demigod children who did or didn't know who their Olympian parent was could easily feel unloved or unwanted, like Luke, only meeting his Dad once under bad circumstances back when he was running around with Thalia and Annabeth. From Luke's point of view, Hermes didn't care about him or love him at all. He wouldn't even tell him why his mom had strange seizures all the time, because Luke felt this way, he became angry and didn't think before he acted, make a deadly weapon in the hands of Kronos. In The Lightning Thief, Percy explained that the silence between him and his dad, Poseidon, when they first met on Olympus, made him glad in a strange way because if he had tried to apologize, or said that he loved him would have felt fake, Luke felt unloved because of the silence, like his father had just pushed him out of the way, but if his mother had not been ill, maybe she could have helped Luke understand why his father was never around.

A mother does most of the raising in a child for at least the first year or so of their life before the father starts to have an influence. Until his mother tried to become the oracle, Luke was raised like any other child was raised, then once she was cursed with seeing her son's fate, she tried to keep caring for baby Luke, but because his mother was ill and his father gone, Luke was practically alone for over eleven years of his life. If Luke's mother had not tried to become oracle while Hades curse was still in place, then Luke would probably have grown up like any other demigod. Before he went on a quest to the Garden of the Hesperides, Luke was an idol at Camp Half Blood with only with a terrible past that he tried to put behind him that was weighting him down like the sky pressing down on his shoulders. If Luke had never gone on that quest, then he never would have become enslaved to Kronos, the thing is that Hermes sent Luke on that quest, Hermes was the one who was never around when Luke was growing up, but he had to do this so that the prophecy could come true and Kronos could be defeated even if he had to intentionally make Luke choose this path and die to get rid of Kronos and save the world. Even though it was probably the hardest thing a god could do, even with an army of children all around the world, Kronos was defeated, but not by Percy, but by Luke. If Luke's mother had not attempted to become oracle, Luke would never had sided with Kronos and never would have saved the world.

Luke played a very big role, bigger than most people, me included, originally thought. He was the one who at times you loved, hated, sympathized, and then in the end, realized that he was a true hero. Even though Percy battled and defeated Titans, demigods, and a whole lot of Greek monsters, Luke was the one that in the end, with Annabeth's help, to overcome and defeat Kronos. Once Luke was the host of the Titan Lord of Time, he realized how much his father did love him and how much his mother cared for him even with her illness and, in the end, became a true hero and saved the world from evil and Kronos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

third place essay by Clevarian

With a smiling baby in hand, Hermes watched on as his love made the choice that changed her life. May smiled and accepted the Oracle into her body, but something went wrong. It was that tragic day, when the curse of the Oracle of Delphi ravaged his mother's mind, that was described as the catalyst for Luke Castellan's future actions. Could things such as this really affect someone who was too young to remember? How could this make the big difference in the second war of the Titans and the Gods? My answer, simply put, it couldn't. The thing with May Castellan losing her mind is that it wasn't the only thing affecting Luke. I hate to say it, but even though Luke died a hero's death, he was a deeply disturbed being. To do what he did, there had to be other factors contributing to his decisions.

The first thing I have to mention is that to a young child an ever present father figure is crucial to healthy development. To have a father that was most likely in and out of his life a lot would be a hard pill to swallow for a kid. It would foster anger and hatred because a child rarely has the capacity to understand that there are times when an adult has to take care of resposibilities. Although Hermes' thoughts may have constantly been on his family with May, to Luke it appeared like he didn't care. He may have felt abandoned and forgotten.

The next component I've observed is that children look to their parents for protection. Even a child that isn't on good terms with their father or mother will look for security from them. They think that if their parents love them then they are supposed to keep everything bad from happening, which even with and immortal parent is unrealistic. Luke was mad with his father because he didn't shield May from the curse, and likewise blamed Hermes for May's illness. He also felt that Hermes should have helped him when he was on his quest, but he didn't understand that a god could not directly aid him. Children like Luke, who feel that their parents have failed to keep them safe don't understand the way of the world, and this lack of comprehension creates confusion and resentment.

The last element in Luke's demise that I want to talk about is power. Power can do crazy things to a person, like make them greedy and arrogant, or make them obsessive and posessive. It is very tempting to be offered power . There are very few people who wouldn't be pulled in by its allure; Garauntee someone that they'll rule the world and they will follow every command you give them. To resist the temptation, one must be humble, brave and sure of heart. Although I know that Luke was brave, I don't think he was humble. I could see him as a person very impressed with his own talents, and ever willing to brag about his achievements to the world. The events of his life, of course, contributed to his doubts, and to his inability to see things from a realistic and logical standpoint.

Based on my above statements I feel that Luke made the perfect pawn. He was naive and confused, he was angry with his father for many things, he had no true understanding of the way things work, and his mother was mentally disturbed. It is easy to see how and why he could be swayed to join Kronos' army. The question though, is whether or not Luke's fate could've been changed if his mother wasn't the way she was. In my opinion, it would change very little, and I feel that he would have still ended up aiding Kronos. One small factor can only slightly alter the whole. The main part of May's problem that contributed to Luke's downfall is not that she was insane, it was that his father failed to stop it. So, as I've said, her mental state wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in the long run.

"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:01 pm

wow these are amazing!!! congrats to everyone!!!
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:15 pm

they did great congrates to every person.
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Congratulations everyone! Enjoy your prizes =)
Who is the honorable mention essay winner?
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:36 pm

wow! these essays are amazing! u guys really grasped the point of the topic, and came up with awesome responses diffrently. I loved thedamsnacksbar's and Cleaverain, but i loved theAravis's a tiny bit more. you people have talent! congrats!
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 pm

percyjackson101 wrote:wow! these essays are amazing! u guys really grasped the point of the topic, and came up with awesome responses diffrently. I loved thedamsnacksbar's and Cleaverain, but i loved theAravis's a tiny bit more. you people have talent! congrats!
Pretty much what they said =)
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Now what should we do next. I still have things for prizes the same as in these prizes.

"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Who is/are the honorable mention winner/s?
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 pm

oops my bad
Honorable mention to rjvg92

Chosen Prompt: How would the change in fate of one of the heroes (Luke, Silena, Beckendorf, or Zoe) have made the PJO series better? Why?

"Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.” When a person possesses too much information on his own fate, it would possibly result to anything out of the ordinary depending on his actions in the process. But when a demigod has such knowledge, everything becomes worse. As the series goes, the Great Prophecy, prophesied by the Oracle of Delphi, envisions that Percy’s actions would cause involvement amongst the fate of others, either getting them injured or worse, death. Due to information given by the Oracle, our heroes face each of their own tragic fate.

Heroes like Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase and other demigods from Camp Half-Blood have survived Kronos’ schemes and misfortune, despite that they were involved in the Great Prophecy. Tragically, not all the heroes from the series have had great fate ahead of them. Such heroes like Luke Castellan, Silena Beauregard, Charles
Beckendorf and Zoe Nightshade have faced their final stand that ended their fate in a disaster. Although their deaths may have caused pain and mourn amongst our demigods, they have saved the entire world’s existence, and have actually even helped and benefited the series’ plot.

Zoe
Nightshade, a lieutenant Hunter of Artemis, has served the goddess for eons. She is also a daughter of the Titan Atlas. During the Titan’s Curse, Zoe accompanied Percy in a quest to rescue Annabeth and the goddess Artemis from Atlas at Mount Othrys. Unfortunately while saving Percy, she suffered a tragic death from her father. Her prowess and ingenuity made Thalia join the Hunters of Artemis, becoming the goddess’ new lieutenant; deciding on it not just to honor Zoe’s death, but also to avoid being a child of the Great Prophecy. With this, Zoe Nightshade has been a great deal, contributing to the Great Prophecy. She helped influence Thalia, avoiding her from turning sixteen, which counters the said prophecy, since Thalia became immortal. It may exclude Thalia from the Great Prophecy, returning the responsibility to Percy once more, but it helped the heroes buy some time. Zoe
has made a great benefit to the heroes of the series.

Charles Beckendorf is a son of Hephaestus and a daily camper of Cam Half-Blood. He is a renowned forger at camp and boyfriend of Silena Beauregard. During the Last Olympian, Beckendorf joined Percy in destroying the Princess Andromeda at the beginning. He has helped with the plan, although died in the explosion, also saving Percy in the process. His death has touched every heart of the campers at Camp Half-Blood, especially Silena. At the Battle of Manhattan, his bravery influenced Silena in leading the Ares cabin to defeat the drakon, despite that the Ares cabin doesn’t want to join the war. With this, it proves that Charles Beckendorf created a great influence towards her girlfriend and also to his cabin mates from the Hephaestus cabin. Beckendorf made a great contribution to the heroes of the series.

Silena Beauregard, a daughter of Aphrodite, is the girlfriend of Charles Beckendorf. She is also a daily camper of Camp Half-Blood. During the Last Olympian, Silena is revealed to be Kronos’ spy for the Titan army. Since her boyfriend’s death, she wanted to repay her secretive treason. While the Battle of Manhattan carries on, she made the Ares cabin believe that she was Clarisse, wearing her helmet and armor, leading them to the city to fight the drakon. She had done this in honor of Beckendorf’s death, influencing her to save Percy and the others, also letting the Ares cabin to contribute with the war, despite that they didn’t want to. With this, Silena Beauregard’s treason helped her in her wisdom to do the right thing for her friends. Silena’s contribution helped the heroes of the
series.

Luke Castellan is a former camper from Camp Half-Blood. He betrayed Percy and his friends in order to serve Kronos as his right hand of power. He was the main tool for his evil scheme and the main justification to the Great Prophecy of the Oracle of Delphi. He is the son of Hermes and May Castellan. It may occur that he helped Kronos succeed in one of his plans, but at the end Luke was the hero of the Great Prophecy. He killed himself to destroy Kronos’ essence within his body, finally saving everyone. Luke’s contribution also saved him in ways that changed his life even on his last breath. He became Olympus’ hero by saving the gods’ existence and was honored by them. He apologized to Percy and Annabeth for his actions from their previous years and renewed their friendship. Also, he ended the heroes’ dilemma by saving everyone in the process. With this, Luke Castellan is the greatest contributor to the Great Prophecy. His decision made him realize what he was meant for, to be a hero.

Percy Jackson’s adventures have always led him and his friends into trouble, since he is a child of the Great Prophecy. Although at the end, all of his friends have saved everyone, especially Olympus. Everyone he knew each made their own contribution to help and protect their beloved Camp Half-Blood, the gods and goddesses of Olympus, and the ones they love. Their fates have changed everything. Zoe Nightshade, Charles Beckendorf, Silena Beauregard and Luke Castellan are not just heroes of their time, but they are the greatest characters of the
Percy Jackson & the Olympians series.

"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAravis on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:11 pm

I was debating on whether I should post here or not. It seemed a little pretentious to me, but I thought it might seem more pretentious if I didn't, but anyway...

Thanks to everyone who said "Congrats"! And, of course, thanks to everyone who made the contest!
TheAravis
TheAravis
Minor Demigod
Minor Demigod

Imortal Parent : Demeter
Female Number of posts : 485
Humor : The Walrus is Paul. -John Lennon, Glass Onion
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamsnackbar on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 pm

TheAravis wrote:I was debating on whether I should post here or not. It seemed a little pretentious to me, but I thought it might seem more pretentious if I didn't, but anyway...

Thanks to everyone who said "Congrats"! And, of course, thanks to everyone who made the contest!

Yeah I know what you mean!!!

Thank you guys!!!!! Means a lot!!!!!!! WINNERS ESSAY CONTEST -- PRIZES Icon_razz
thedamsnackbar
thedamsnackbar
Mortal
Mortal

Female Number of posts : 53
Humor : In search of the dam snack bar :P
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content