MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day)

+12
willrox
Pendragon
Cennedy125
Posidonsdaughter
tinkerirock
Luke
percyjackson101
DarkZerkerX
riczhang
athenachick
xxgabrielademigodxx
Christof
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day) - Page 2 Empty What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day)

Post by Christof Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

OK, after years of wondering what I thought was missing from PJO (OK, maybe weeks), I've finally nailed it. There is no character development. Think about it. Does Percy really develop as a character allot, besides having a growing crush on Annabeth? Not really.

I honestly think that if Rick made Percy grow up (I don't mean grow up in a bad way) and develop as a character, the series would be allot more interesting. I also think that that would make the Percy Jackson series allot more popular.

Think about it. We've read about Rercy for 4 years, and he doesn't change one bit. It's really like he just stays twelve instead of changing from 12 to 16. Don't get me wrong: I like Percy, but It really is annoying that he doesn't develop that much as a character.

Thoughts?
Christof
Christof
Webmaster
Webmaster

Imortal Parent : Kronos
Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2008-12-20

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day) - Page 2 Empty Re: What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day)

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 am

i would read it under the dinner table and my mom would get really mad at me- but other than that, i am addicted too.

i like the 18-year old prophecy thing, but i think that Rick Riordan would have ran out of myths to tie into the series.
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day) - Page 2 Empty Re: What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day)

Post by tinkerirock Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:54 am

percyjackson101 wrote:i would read it under the dinner table and my mom would get really mad at me- but other than that, i am addicted too.

i like the 18-year old prophecy thing, but i think that Rick Riordan would have ran out of myths to tie into the series.
haha i dont think he would run out of myths, he would just dig deeper
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 am

A guy like Rick, I don't see HOW he could run out of myths. You guys all have a point. It would've been great to see some more elaboration and character development.
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:59 am

Yea Tinker I think he could have kept coming up with new material. There are many more myths.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09 pm

yup. like he could look at ancient myths and other stuf like kronos's side of the story.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with the PJO series (aka Christof's rant of the day) - Page 2 Empty Re: What is wrong with PJO?

Post by willrox Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

good point, but the action makes up for that.
willrox
willrox
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Yea Tinker I think he could have kept coming up with new material. There are many more myths.

Didn't he hear more on his recent trip to greece???
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 pm

he really could have had more myth's in it.
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm

haha,,,

i thought that there was a little character development, like he got better at sword fighting through the books, but he did act like the same age through out the whole series.
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue May 04, 2010 11:23 pm

yea character development would be better, though i think one thing that rick should've done is like a really big throw-back, like a HUGe one. Like a twist.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 am

ya i wanted to see more magic but also i wanted to see the character's improve in the things they do
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAravis Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I think that Rick Riordan didn't develop Percy because twelve was the highest age that the series is really for. I don't think twelve year-olds want to read about someone they can relate suddenly turn to someone they can't relate to.

The biggest problem I found was that the characters were kind of copied from Harry Potter. Not completely, just in general. Like how Hermione isn't prideful like Annabeth, but they're both the ones to turn to for a plan.
TheAravis
TheAravis
Minor Demigod
Minor Demigod

Imortal Parent : Demeter
Female Number of posts : 485
Humor : The Walrus is Paul. -John Lennon, Glass Onion
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 16, 2010 9:54 pm

TheAravis wrote:I think that Rick Riordan didn't develop Percy because twelve was the highest age that the series is really for. I don't think twelve year-olds want to read about someone they can relate suddenly turn to someone they can't relate to.

The biggest problem I found was that the characters were kind of copied from Harry Potter. Not completely, just in general. Like how Hermione isn't prideful like Annabeth, but they're both the ones to turn to for a plan.

There are lots of series like that ie: The keys to the Kingdom. Arthur=Harry Suzy=Ron and Will and Leaf both= Hermione.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun May 16, 2010 10:23 pm

that pretty true. like the relation of Percy to Harry is the same, but almost all the books have something in common like that. so i wouldn't count something like that on Percy.

something that annoys me is that they always have a quest. like every book, they have a quest. its the highlight, but it could've been something more...efficient. like in the last book, they just battled-something like that. like something else happens at camp, so no quest or something.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 16, 2010 10:24 pm

tinkerirock wrote:that pretty true. like the relation of Percy to Harry is the same, but almost all the books have something in common like that. so i wouldn't count something like that on Percy.

something that annoys me is that they always have a quest. like every book, they have a quest. its the highlight, but it could've been something more...efficient. like in the last book, they just battled-something like that. like something else happens at camp, so no quest or something.

I wish that for just one book no prophecy would appear and they would have a summer at camp and then something just appears out of the blues and they have to fight it.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 pm

yea exacly my point. maybe something esle will happen in the next series. something more to that sense. because the whole series, they can't go on a quest until like when the prophecy occurs.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:42 pm

I hope that the characters in TLH will develop as the books do.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:15 am

smoothmoves97 wrote:I hope that the characters in TLH will develop as the books do.

Well IDK cause it's one person's writing style and especially as a continuation of a series, his style won't change.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAravis Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 pm

riczhang wrote:
TheAravis wrote:I think that Rick Riordan didn't develop Percy because twelve was the highest age that the series is really for. I don't think twelve year-olds want to read about someone they can relate suddenly turn to someone they can't relate to.

There are lots of series like that ie: The keys to the Kingdom. Arthur=Harry Suzy=Ron and Will and Leaf both= Hermione.

Just because everyone does that doesn't make it acceptable.

It's like saying that it's okay to smoke because other people do.
TheAravis
TheAravis
Minor Demigod
Minor Demigod

Imortal Parent : Demeter
Female Number of posts : 485
Humor : The Walrus is Paul. -John Lennon, Glass Onion
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Both riczhang and TheAravis have a point.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by percabethsprincess Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:27 pm

smoothmoves97 wrote:Both riczhang and TheAravis have a point.

yes, and they are both very very good, and i actually agree with both of them. idk how that is possible though... lol.
percabethsprincess
percabethsprincess
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 1144
Humor : sometimes i like to park my car next to a high way road and point a hair dryer at people to see if they slow down...
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:08 am

It's possible to be neutral =) Just ask Switzerland.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percabethsprincess Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 am

smoothmoves97 wrote:It's possible to be neutral =) Just ask Switzerland.

and itsnt it fun to be neutral! lol. u get to be everyones friend! :) but now i am getting off topic. lol.
percabethsprincess
percabethsprincess
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : sometimes i like to park my car next to a high way road and point a hair dryer at people to see if they slow down...

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Back on topic: Character Development of PJO.
smoothmoves97
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percabethsprincess Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:50 pm

I feel that the Character Development of Tyson never really happened, he seemed pretty the same to me the entire series... only big change was getting along with grover. Neutral
percabethsprincess
percabethsprincess
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next