How many of you were aware of Greek mythology before reading the percy jackson series?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much did you know about greek mythology, before reading PJO?

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
13% 13% 
[ 3 ]
13% 13% 
[ 3 ]
22% 22% 
[ 5 ]
26% 26% 
[ 6 ]
13% 13% 
[ 3 ]
13% 13% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 23

How many of you were aware of Greek mythology before reading the percy jackson series?

Post by veni-vidi-vici on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Title says it all, how many of you were actually aware of the existence and the details of Greek mythology

Myself:

I've never studied it in school but its always fascinated me and I've read various Greek Myths and legends since about Age 7. I've looked at a lot of the general mythology and done research on it online.
veni-vidi-vici
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Male Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2010-03-20

Back to top Go down

Re: How many of you were aware of Greek mythology before reading the percy jackson series?

Post by tinkerirock on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:59 pm

yea. and shine in the sun
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Re: How many of you were aware of Greek mythology before reading the percy jackson series?

Post by riczhang on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm

tinkerirock wrote:yea. and shine in the sun

It be awesome if the mummies weren't afraid of the sun.

President of the Academy of Visual Arts & Pictures and host of the first Profile Picture Awards.

Random Fact of the Month: The Last Olympian has an ISBN number of : 978-142310147-5

Random Fact Quote of the Month:"Heavens no," Amos said. "I hate gnomes, They smell horrible."

Riczhang's Random word of the month: Procure: to get possession of : obtain by particular care and effort
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BLUEFRiLL on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 pm

mummies aren't rly egyptian mythology though, they will probably have gods like anubis etc
BLUEFRiLL
Mortal
Mortal

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by veni-vidi-vici on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:41 pm

*edited*
veni-vidi-vici
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Male Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2010-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Greek_Geek on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm

FIRST WARNING! SPAM AND GENERAL OFF-TOPICNESS!

I operate differently to other mods. I offer 2 warnings and then I lock the thread. Delete the posts. And keep it locked for a week.

No more speak of Vampires.

I got into Greek Mythology after playing Age of Mythology, I then visited the library every Friday after school until I exhaughsted their Greek Mythology recourses and have been hooked ever since.

Greek_Geek
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Male Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm

theoi link Listen on Rick's site is theoi dot com which an excellent source for Greek myth info. I agree with greek-geek whole heartily. Especially you older members going off topic. Start an Egyptian topic if that is what you want to discuss.

"You love me...Real or not real?"
"Real"
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

oh i dont know much bout egyptain. but about the greek-i have a question. when Gia and other gods had like titans, why didnt like the other-other gods have titans?? like most gods had heroes after, but why was it that like gia had titans??
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Posidonsdaughter wrote:theoi link Listen on Rick's site is theoi dot com which an excellent source for Greek myth info. I agree with greek-geek whole heartily. Especially you older members going off topic. Start an Egyptian topic if that is what you want to discuss.

I found the theoi site a bit hard to use though, I found it a bit messy, though I loved the info. Anyways I found out about Greek mythology from the time I got into Julies Ceaser and then I got to Roman Mythology, found out about the Greek mythology and borrowed every book I could get my hands on about it.

Last edited by riczhang on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

President of the Academy of Visual Arts & Pictures and host of the first Profile Picture Awards.

Random Fact of the Month: The Last Olympian has an ISBN number of : 978-142310147-5

Random Fact Quote of the Month:"Heavens no," Amos said. "I hate gnomes, They smell horrible."

Riczhang's Random word of the month: Procure: to get possession of : obtain by particular care and effort
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Neptune95 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm

I knew almost everything about Greek, its Culture, and absolutly the Myths...My Grandparents live in Greece, so everytime i visit them all by myself. They Taught all about its culture, and taught me how to Speak, Read, and Write Greek, i find Writeing it is VERY difficult! My Grandma always told there Myths, and everything about the Gods of Olympus! I was so exited when someone fianlly wrote a good Book Series, on Greek Myths!!!!!
Neptune95
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Undetermened
Male Number of posts : 42
Humor : If you where a Child of Zeus and Hera, wouldint that make you Royalty......poor, poor, Ares and Hephaestus?! :(
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by rjvg92 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:24 am

i knew about it since i was a kid. i was fond of it because of the all famous her ules. and since the stories are interesting, i got the exact ideas when i read the series, and it's very loyal..
rjvg92
Mortal
Mortal

Male Number of posts : 4
Humor : it's better to read than to watch - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S PERCY
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:30 am

Neptune95 wrote:I knew almost everything about Greek, its Culture, and absolutly the Myths...My Grandparents live in Greece, so everytime i visit them all by myself. They Taught all about its culture, and taught me how to Speak, Read, and Write Greek, i find Writeing it is VERY difficult! My Grandma always told there Myths, and everything about the Gods of Olympus! I was so exited when someone fianlly wrote a good Book Series, on Greek Myths!!!!!

Bit off topic but I heard somewhere that modern Greek is just a dialect of Ancient Greek.

riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gods_love_me on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 am

I didn't know much AT ALL! I only knew the three main gods (Zeus Poseidon,Hades) and what they did, but then I read the PJO series and learned a lot about the gods! I can even name all them now!
gods_love_me
Undetermined Demigod
Undetermined Demigod

Female Number of posts : 116
Location : Any where hanging out with my friends or just chillin
Humor : Ding dong bing bong! Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:33 am

gods_love_me wrote:I didn't know much AT ALL! I only knew the three main gods (Zeus Poseidon,Hades) and what they did, but then I read the PJO series and learned a lot about the gods! I can even name all them now!

So did you learn all of this from independent further reading or just from the series itself?

riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gods_love_me on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Mostly just the series though I did have to look up some stuff that was confusing,but not often
gods_love_me
Undetermined Demigod
Undetermined Demigod

Female Number of posts : 116
Location : Any where hanging out with my friends or just chillin
Humor : Ding dong bing bong! Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by asa100 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am

I was so obsessed in greek mythology and thingies like that ,I Knew a lot about it but reading percy jackson made me totally good in greek gods stories and legends

U.A.E Demigod
asa100
Undetermined Demigod
Undetermined Demigod

Male Number of posts : 88
Location : U.A.E,or is it cabin number 3 in camp?..., oh never mind
Humor : will I get transformed to a pine tree because Poseidon claimed me or will I just explode where ever I stood
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 pm

i didn't know much. the usual like medusa, posiedon, things like that. then i read PJO and i like became an expert on it
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Same with me.
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 2233
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)
Humor : If you see a turtle without its shell, is it homeless or naked?
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Huntress on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm studying it at school.... and I have been obsessed with the subject since I was 7.

So yeah die-hard Myth fan.
Heard about the Percy Jackson series when it was first advertised but didn't want to read it because I thought it wouldn't stick to the material...but now I'm a fan Smile
Eternal Huntress
Mortal
Mortal

Female Number of posts : 22
Humor : Random, weird things
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 pm

PJO does twist the myths a little bit... b/c in the old myths they sadly weren't as humorous to read about. (hi, dionysus)
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Somewhere over the rainbow (the skies are not blue at this moment in time)

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm

yea that is so true, because of the modern age, rick added a humorous personality to all of the characters
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by smoothmoves97 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, Rick definitely succeeded in the humor area!!
smoothmoves97
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top