MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+21
TheAravis
Elliot
posiden#1god
athenachick
Mark Dimiond
monsterslayer
The_Megal
penguinsoldier
polkmen1234
Luke
demi...gawd!
Greek_Geek
Pendragon
percyjackson101
Artemisrocks
Cennedy125
riczhang
Posidonsdaughter
Bookworm
tinkerirock
PJO-geek
25 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 3 Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm

i saw th movie, and that makes me wanna read the book, so i will check it out
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Most of you probably have already read the Inkheart series, but if not you should really check them out.

I didn't really like them that much but the last time I read them was when I was around seven so I don't think I remeber it all.
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hermes
Male Number of posts : 959
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:30 pm

wow. for a seven year old who can read a series that big- impressive
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 pm

I was reading Harry Potter when I was seven
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 am

woowww..... i would be like "wht the freak is muggle?" or "how do pronounce dum....dumleb....dumble......dorr..."
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 am

well, here is ANOTHER series i would like to reccomend. It is called The Mysteriouse Benedict Society. The second book of the series is called The Mysteriouse Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. Like any other series, you won't get the story unless you read the first book. It is a long read, but it is REALLY good. Here is a summary of the first book from the back cover.

"ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?"

When this peculiar sign appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysteriouse, mind-bending tests.(And you, dear reader, can test your wiits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a sercret mission that only the most intelligant and resourceful children could complete. With their newfound freindship at stake, will they be able to pass test of all?

WELCOME TO THE MYSTERIOUSE BENEDICT SOCIETY

ok, i know it sound boring or what not, but it is a pretty good book oncce you get into it. Here is the back cover of the second book, The Mysteriouse Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey.
CHILDREN
YOU MUST NOT COME
STOP
DANGEROUS
The Mysteriouse Benedict Society is back with a new mission: a mand-bending internationsal scavenger hunt designed to test their individual talents. As they search for all the clues and riddles Mr. Benedict has hidden from them, Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constancce face an unexcpected challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.
JOIN
THE MYSTERIOUSE BENEDICT SOCIETY
AT YOUR OWN RISK
yeah, well that is all for now. Hope you guys can check these out. they may not be for everyone, because they are not like any other book on the shelf. So, do enjoy! Book Recommendations - Page 3 Icon_study
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 am

has anyone heard of the series "GONE"? im sry if om repeating myself but this is a really good series/book. i will not post the reveiw unless someone has read this Book Recommendations - Page 3 Lol
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:04 am

Has anyone read the Ranger's Apprentice?? They are really, really interesting fantasy series.The series follows the adventures of Will, an orphan who is taken as an apprentice Ranger, as he strives to keep the Kingdom of Araluen safe from invaders, traitors and threats. He is joined on his adventures by his mentor Halt and his best friend Horace among others.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 am

riczhang wrote:Has anyone read the Ranger's Apprentice?? They are really, really interesting fantasy series.The series follows the adventures of Will, an orphan who is taken as an apprentice Ranger, as he strives to keep the Kingdom of Araluen safe from invaders, traitors and threats. He is joined on his adventures by his mentor Halt and his best friend Horace among others.
ive heard of that somewhere......
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:09 am

tinkerirock wrote:
riczhang wrote:Has anyone read the Ranger's Apprentice?? They are really, really interesting fantasy series.The series follows the adventures of Will, an orphan who is taken as an apprentice Ranger, as he strives to keep the Kingdom of Araluen safe from invaders, traitors and threats. He is joined on his adventures by his mentor Halt and his best friend Horace among others.
ive heard of that somewhere......

You totally should read it. It's for people who really love fantasy such as HP, and PJ, but not that much Twilight and LOTR.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:10 am

LOTR?? well i love fantasy soo Book Recommendations - Page 3 Herz
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 am

Lord of The Rings, it's too long to type every single time.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 am

riczhang wrote:Lord of The Rings, it's too long to type every single time.
o haha pshh.. i knew that
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 am

Also, I really liked "The Last Apprentice" series, or otherwise know as "The Spook's Apprentice".
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by polkmen1234 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I think that ravens gate was good there is four of them it goes ravens gate,evil star,night rise and Necropolis. In ravens gates Matt's friend just talk him in to going to steel some dvd's at a warehouse and when things go wrong the watchmen gets stabed and Matt is blamed and sent off to the leaf program out in the woods. Then he finds out about the old ones he can't do anything and the people who help him end up dead. I ma reading book two to so i can't tell you about that yet
polkmen1234
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Athena
Male Number of posts : 30
Humor : funny stuff
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by polkmen1234 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 pm

polkmen1234 wrote:I think that ravens gate was good there is four of them it goes ravens gate,evil star,night rise and Necropolis. In ravens gates Matt's friend just talk him in to going to steel some dvd's at a warehouse and when things go wrong the watchmen gets stabed and Matt is blamed and sent off to the leaf program out in the woods. Then he finds out about the old ones he can't do anything and the people who help him end up dead. I ma reading book two to so i can't tell you about that yet
i mean am and i when i do finish evil star i will tell you about it
polkmen1234
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Athena
Male Number of posts : 30
Humor : funny stuff
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 pm

polkmen1234 wrote:I think that ravens gate was good there is four of them it goes ravens gate,evil star,night rise and Necropolis. In ravens gates Matt's friend just talk him in to going to steel some dvd's at a warehouse and when things go wrong the watchmen gets stabed and Matt is blamed and sent off to the leaf program out in the woods. Then he finds out about the old ones he can't do anything and the people who help him end up dead. I ma reading book two to so i can't tell you about that yet

polkmen1234 wrote:
i mean am and i when i do finish evil star i will tell you about it

PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE POST
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 pm

I like the seires but the new 4th books seems to be non-exsistent no body anywhere close to me sells it.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I didn't much care for it. Spoiler: The final Gate keeper can control the weather which is kinda lame in my opinion
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Luke wrote:I didn't much care for it. Spoiler: The final Gate keeper can control the weather which is kinda lame in my opinion

You mean that girl??? Seems amazing she can do that. She seemed pretty useless.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am

Yeah I didnt like the latest book a bit.
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 am

Luke wrote:Yeah I didnt like the latest book a bit.

I know a few people who've read it but they all say that it's far fromthe previous 3
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:16 pm

I would also reccomend the Witch and Wizard series. i wont put on the summary until someone replys to this
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Artemisrocks wrote:I would also reccomend the Witch and Wizard series. i wont put on the summary until someone replys to this
im replying; so i think ive heard of it somewhere...
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 am

Artemisrocks wrote:I would also reccomend the Witch and Wizard series. i wont put on the summary until someone replys to this

Sound's interesting, I'm into anything fantasy.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next