MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+21
TheAravis
Elliot
posiden#1god
athenachick
Mark Dimiond
monsterslayer
The_Megal
penguinsoldier
polkmen1234
Luke
demi...gawd!
Greek_Geek
Pendragon
percyjackson101
Artemisrocks
Cennedy125
riczhang
Posidonsdaughter
Bookworm
tinkerirock
PJO-geek
25 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 4 Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 am

Sounds like there's a lot of books to read! Awesome!! Oh, new info: 3rd Hunger Games comes out in August, and the 6th Maximum Ride comes out in March!! Can't wait!! When does the Kane Chronicles come out? Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_neutral
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:20 pm

The Kane Chronicles comes out May 5 2010. Can't wait!!! Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Sweet!! Another couple of series and books I would recommend are:

*Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam -Cynthia Kadohata
*The Gallagher Girls Series (Recommended for girls Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_smile) -Ally Carter
-I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You
-Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy
-Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover
*Maximum Ride -James Patterson
-The Angel Experiment
-School's Out-Forever
-Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
-The Final Warning
-Max
-Fang (Comes out March 15th!!)
*Half Moon Investigations -Eoin Colfer
*A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray -Ann M. Martin
*Marley and Me -John Grogan
*(Practically anything by Bill Wallace!!)
*Fire Horse -Diane Lee Wilson
*Alex Rider -Anthony Horowitz
*Paint the Wind -Pam Munoz Ryan (The n is supposed to have a little squiggly thing over it.)
*War Horse -Michael Morpurgo

That's all I have for now. If anyone wants synopsis' or more books, (we practically have a whole library at home!!) just PM me.
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 am

PJO-geek, have you read the Inkheart series?
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 am

No, but I've seen the movie. Are they good? Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_neutral
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 am

Good? They're UNBELIEVABLY INCREDIBLE!! If you liked the movie, you'd love the books. I really suggest checking them out. Has anyone else read them?
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 am

I have read the books and I love them. I just got another book by Cornelia Funke called The Thief Lord. (has anyone read that?) I absolutely love the Gallagher Girls series. I just finished the 2nd. ( Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy) I can't wait for Maximum Ride: Fang to come out!!! Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 am

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Maximum Ride. I'll have to check it out.
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Maximum Ride is totally worth checking out!!! It's almost, ALMOST, better than the PJO series. I guess it kinda is, but PJO is still totally my fav!! If you need to know what the first one is, you can check the list I made, or you can PM me. Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_smile
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:19 am

ive heard of that, i wanna read it. has anyone heard of "Hunger Games" ?
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

Oh, yeah!!! It's awesome isn't it??!!?? I can't wait for the 3rd one to come out in August! The second one is Catching Fire. They're really good, the summaries are on the main message above. Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm

I've got so many reccomendations! Here is a list.

• Maximum Ride series
  • Harry Potter series
  • Inkheart series
  • The hunger Games series
  • Wolves of the beyond: Lone Wolf
  • Star wars: Attack of the Clones
  • Star wars: Revenge of the Sith
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Artemisrocks wrote:I've got so many reccomendations! Here is a list.

• Maximum Ride series
  • Harry Potter series
  • Inkheart series
  • The hunger Games series
  • Wolves of the beyond: Lone Wolf
  • Star wars: Attack of the Clones
  • Star wars: Revenge of the Sith

I want to add a few books to the series:

The garbage King by elizabeth laird
The artemis fowl series
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Oh yeah, and here's the summary for Withch and Wizard:

Imagine, you wake up and the world around you- life as you know it - has changed in an instant. Thats what happened to Wisty and her brother, Whit. They went to bed normal teenagers, and woke up enemies of the state. Except Whit and Wisty have always been different. Only, now, just how different they are they've begun to understand. The New Order has surpressed everything they love and everything they stand for. And the must fight. Whit and Wisty, and you too, are the future. They are The Resistance. They are Witch and Wizard. And their story begins now.
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Artemisrocks wrote:Oh yeah, and here's the summary for Withch and Wizard:

Imagine, you wake up and the world around you- life as you know it - has changed in an instant. Thats what happened to Wisty and her brother, Whit. They went to bed normal teenagers, and woke up enemies of the state. Except Whit and Wisty have always been different. Only, now, just how different they are they've begun to understand. The New Order has surpressed everything they love and everything they stand for. And the must fight. Whit and Wisty, and you too, are the future. They are The Resistance. They are Witch and Wizard. And their story begins now.
that sounds really good
i read the Hunger Games, like PJO- geek suggested. IT IS AWESOME! it is really good and I reccomend them too. I am trying to find a copy of Catching Fire, but they seem to be out. Also, we are reading it in my reading club because I reccommended, and people are liking it too
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:54 pm

That's sooooo cool!!! I'm glad people are taking an interest in the Hunger Games!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Artemisrocks wrote:Oh yeah, and here's the summary for Withch and Wizard:

I suppose that's interesting nice mystery/fantasy.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:17 am

PJO-geek wrote:That's sooooo cool!!! I'm glad people are taking an interest in the Hunger Games!!

i kno, rite?!?!?!? i read the first 6 chapters of Catching Fire online... and it was REALLY awesome. i need that book! grrrr Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_porc Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_porc hehehe it has a round piggy face srry off topic Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_redface Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_redface
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 am

percyjackson101 wrote:
PJO-geek wrote:That's sooooo cool!!! I'm glad people are taking an interest in the Hunger Games!!

i kno, rite?!?!?!? i read the first 6 chapters of Catching Fire online... and it was REALLY awesome. i need that book! grrrr Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_porc Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_porc hehehe it has a round piggy face srry off topic Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_redface Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_redface

I thought the second book wasn't as good as the first one cause it spends too much time recapping events in the 1st book.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 am

Yeah, I definately liked the 1st book better. More action.

Anyway, can we get back on topic please? Not to be rude or anything.

Any more book recommendations? Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_neutral
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by penguinsoldier Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Obviously in terms of teenage fantasy His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is one of if not the best saga.

You could also try the books by Robin Hobb, she's done four trilogies so far I think. The genre is more adult, and its high fantasy, so thats just a maybe.

More comedy fantasy includes books by Terry Pratchett, and of course The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, which is absolutely brilliant.

Hope this is sort of what you were looking for...
penguinsoldier
penguinsoldier
Undetermined Demigod
Undetermined Demigod

Imortal Parent : Iris
Male Number of posts : 256
Humor : Anyone got any fish?
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Hmmm... sounds interesting. Any others?
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 pm

i like the harry potter series, though i am still on the 4th book. i think someone already metioned that, but it is really good. Even though they are, like HHHUUGGEE, you can't tell until you actually finish the boook. but PJo series beats them. (for me, PJO beats every series out there)
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 am

Oh, has anyone tried the door within series by Wayne Thomas Batson??? They're on my top 5 favorite series of all times, and it's so good...
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:12 pm

I have never heard of that series but I will try to read it. Book Recommendations - Page 4 Icon_smile
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next