MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+21
TheAravis
Elliot
posiden#1god
athenachick
Mark Dimiond
monsterslayer
The_Megal
penguinsoldier
polkmen1234
Luke
demi...gawd!
Greek_Geek
Pendragon
percyjackson101
Artemisrocks
Cennedy125
riczhang
Posidonsdaughter
Bookworm
tinkerirock
PJO-geek
25 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 2 Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by percyjackson101 Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm

cool- and i love the Chronicles of Narnia series- i have the whole thing, but i am only on The Horse and his Boy
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 am

I love the Chronicles too. The movies were really good. Again they can't get the depth of the books, but they did a fair job of keeping to the book.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 am

Posidonsdaughter wrote:I love the Chronicles too. The movies were really good. Again they can't get the depth of the books, but they did a fair job of keeping to the book.

You know that there's a new movie coming out soon?? I really can't wait I hope it's as good as the book.

Sorry for getting off topic.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 am

I don't know if any of you have ever read C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. They are fabulous. Here is a summary of the series.
The final book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which includes Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, That Hideous Strength concludes the adventures of the matchless Dr. Ransom. The dark forces that were repulsed in Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra are massed for an assault on the planet Earth itself. Word is on the wind that the mighty wizard Merlin has come back to the land of the living after many centuries, holding the key to ultimate power for that force which can find him and bend him to its will. A sinister technocratic organization is gaining power throughout Europe with a plan to "recondition" society, and it is up to Ransom and his friends to squelch this threat by applying age-old wisdom to a new universe dominated by science. The two groups struggle to a climactic resolution that brings the Space Trilogy to a magnificent, crashing close.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:08 am

Here's a description of the next Maximum Ride book coming out
"Fang will be the first to die!"

For years, Max has been desperatly on the run from evil forces trying to prevent her from her destiny to save the world-but nothing has ever rocked her world like this horrifying prophetic message. Fang is Max's best friend, her soulmate, her partner in leading her flock of winged children. A life without Fang is unimaginable.

Max's desperate desire to protect Fang brings the two closer than ever. But their world is turned upside down yet again when another winged boy, the beautiful Dylan, is introduced into the flock. Raised in a lab, like the flock, he exists for only one reason: he was created to be Max's perfect other half. Now the battle of science against soul and perfection versus passion unfolds, twists and turns... and meanwhile, the
apocalypse is coming.
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:00 am

I read book one of Fang and I'm freaking out. I shouldn't have read it. I'm so stupid!!
Bookworm
Bookworm
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Morpheus
Female Number of posts : 93
Humor : defenestration- to throw someone or something out of a window
Registration date : 2009-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Greek_Geek Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:47 am

I recomend to the mature and older of you guys to check out the CHERRUB series.
Greek_Geek
Staff
Staff

Male Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

i recommend the series "Gone" its actually a novel with a sequel "Hunger" its awesome!!!
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm

tinkerirock wrote:i recommend the series "Gone" its actually a novel with a sequel "Hunger" its awesome!!!

oh yeah i read part of Gone. It is about when all of the people in the town of Pediro, CA that is over 15 disappear and the town gets ruled by kids. It is pretty cool
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 2 Empty book suggestions

Post by Pendragon Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:30 pm

The series I'm gonna suggest has more of a sci-fi twist to it, but it's fantastic. It's called Pendragon: A journey through space and time. There's 10 books to the series, and I've just begun to read the first book: The Merchant of Death. From what I've read so far, it's really well written. Check it out!
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by demi...gawd! Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Pendragon wrote:The series I'm gonna suggest has more of a sci-fi twist to it, but it's fantastic. It's called Pendragon: A journey through space and time. There's 10 books to the series, and I've just begun to read the first book: The Merchant of Death. From what I've read so far, it's really well written. Check it out!

Omg Pendragon you and Mark DImiond and I need to get together some time! I love that series! Everyone should read it, its great! Everyone! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_bounce Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
demi...gawd!
demi...gawd!
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Athena
Male Number of posts : 52
Humor : The Lightning THief Movie (cuz it FAILS!!!)
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:01 pm

PJO-geek wrote:Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!

OH!!! i saw the Hunger Games series on the list of book reccomendations that Rick Riordan has on his website- i really need to check this series out then Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Affraid Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:09 pm

OMG! i think most people know this, but Rick Riordan is having a new series on Acient Egyptain mythology called the Kane Chronicles. It is about... well you guys can check out the first chapter and see what I am talking about. I think it is really good. Here it is. If this website doesn't work, you can also go onto rickriordan.com and you can find more info on there. http://www.thekanechronicles.com/book.html- check it out! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_smile Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_surprised Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_smile Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_surprised Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_farao Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_farao Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_farao Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_farao Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_farao
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Artemisrocks Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Cool
Artemisrocks
Artemisrocks
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Artemis
Female Number of posts : 811
Humor : I love my CRAZY,GORGEOUS, LAME FRIENDS!
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Pendragon Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 am

Yeah, I just finished reading the first chapter of The Red Pyramid, and I thought it was impressive! Can't wait to read the whole book!
Pendragon
Pendragon
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hephaestus
Male Number of posts : 754
Humor : Do not meddle with the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Registration date : 2010-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:55 am

Books I recomend

Artemis Fowl
Eragon
Pendragon
The Wish List
Ravens Gate
Digital Fortress ( A bit mature)
A game of thrones
Revenge of the shadow King
Among The hidden
Alex Rider, Storm Breaker
The Giver
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Hermes
Male Number of posts : 959
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 am

wahoo! i am not the only one who nows what The Revenge of the Shadow King is! sorry- off topic Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_redface
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 am

Yes its a very good book I'm a bit sad the series is over though.
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 am

Good books (* = they are in a series)

*Gone
*Inkheart
* The 39 Clues
*Harry Potter and the Order of Phoinex
The Book Thief
Indigo
*Oh.My.Gods
sry i cant think of anymore. ill try to add some when i can
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05 am

What is the book theif? I've heard a lot about it.
Luke
Luke
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 am

here is a summary from http://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/index.cfm?book_number=1755. I think it explains the basics:

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

it is a pretty good book and worth checking out, though it is quiet long Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:41 am

PJ101 that sounds fantastic. I love history based stories.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:19 am

percyjackson101 wrote:here is a summary from http://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/index.cfm?book_number=1755. I think it explains the basics:

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

it is a pretty good book and worth checking out, though it is quiet long Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_study

I'll probably try it because I like the author.(really awesome, nice language, and good storyline)
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 am

Most of you probably have already read the Inkheart series, but if not you should really check them out.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:11 pm

yea they r awesome! Book Recommendations - Page 2 Icon_bounce
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next