MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+21
TheAravis
Elliot
posiden#1god
athenachick
Mark Dimiond
monsterslayer
The_Megal
penguinsoldier
polkmen1234
Luke
demi...gawd!
Greek_Geek
Pendragon
percyjackson101
Artemisrocks
Cennedy125
riczhang
Posidonsdaughter
Bookworm
tinkerirock
PJO-geek
25 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 8 Empty Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Any good book recommendations? I don't really have anything to read right now, which in my case, is very disappointing and depressing. Book Recommendations - Page 8 Icon_sad So, anyone?

A series I recommend is The Hunger Game Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Besides PJO, it's the best series EVER!!! The first book is called The Hunger Games. Here's the synopsis:
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Doesn't that sound awesome? It's for ages 12 and older, because of the violence of kid against kid. Here's the author's reasons: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/age-of-readers.htm

Reviews:
"I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and read it under the edge of the table so I wouldn't have to stop reading. It kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it.... The Hunger Games is amazing."
-Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga

"[A] plot-driven blend of suspense, science fiction, and romance."
-USA Today
Plus many more!!!
The second book is called Catching Fire. Here's this book's synopsis:

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.

This one was even better than the first!!! But, like most series, you have to read the first one first, or you don't know what's going on. Here's the book trailer: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/videos/catching-fire-promo.htm.

Hope you decide to read these IF, you are older than 12 years old. They really are the best books ever, besides the PJO books of course. Unfortunately, the third book doesn't come out until August. I don't think I can wait that long!!! Book Recommendations - Page 8 Icon_sad Anyway, enjoy!! Book Recommendations - Page 8 Icon_smile Oh, and I heard a rumor that The Hunger Games might become a movie!!! Sweetness!!! Book Recommendations - Page 8 Icon_biggrin

When you add a book recommendation, try to add the synopsis, your own review, or something else like a website, or video about your book. Support why you would recommend it too, to make it interesting!!!
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 749
Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 8 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post by PJO-geek Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 am

No. Never heard of it. Could you add the summary?
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Location : Berk. 12 days North of Hopeless and a few degrees South of Freezing to Death, located solemnly on the Meridian of Misery. XD
Humor : The best art is produced at 3 in the morning. (This is very true! I have proof!! XD)

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:01 am

Sure!! Here it is:

From School Library Journal
Grade 5—8—Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (2003) and The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons (2005, both Candlewick) are purported to be guides written by Dr. Ernest Drake, one of Victorian-era Britain's foremost dragonologists. Steer, their real author, has now written the first of a series of novels about Dr. Drake as seen through the eyes of 12-year-old Daniel Cook, one of his apprentices. In 1882, Daniel and his older sister are unaware that their mother and father are dragonologists working in India for the colonial government. The children are at first disappointed when they are shipped directly from their boarding school to Dr. Drake's-they had been promised a summer holiday with their parents-but the eccentric man introduces them to their first dragons and they're soon hooked on the "science." A sinister rival, Ignatius Crook, hopes to claim a gem, the Dragon's Eye, that would give him powers over the dragons of the British Isles, and Drake and his crew are determined to stop him. Soon Drake, Daniel, and Beatrice are journeying all over the nation by train and boat and on dragonback to track down the precious stone. This book will be lots of fun for fans of the beautifully illustrated "Dragonology" titles, but as a work of fantasy, it is merely average. The art, critical in a work like this one, is unspectacular; several of the adult characters, in particular Crook, are stereotypes; and the young protagonists lack depth.—Walter Minkel, New York Public Library
Copyright ©️ Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 pm

omg that sounds awesome!! i'll try to read it. has anyone read "Gone"? Sry i keep asking that, its just that its a really good book and i need someone to discuss it with!!
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

i haven't read Gone but I could read it what is the authors name?
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Imortal Parent : Athena
Female Number of posts : 874
Humor : You shall not Blast my son to bits!! (yeah, that happens every day)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:00 pm

tinkerirock wrote:omg that sounds awesome!! i'll try to read it. has anyone read "Gone"? Sry i keep asking that, its just that its a really good book and i need someone to discuss it with!!

I might've the title sounds familiar but I just can't remember.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Another great book is called The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester Here is the Summery:

Piper McCloud lives with her normal ma and pa on a normal farm in normal Lowland County. But Piper isn’t your normal girl. Ever since Piper was a baby she’s been able to hover a few feet off the ground, and if the people of Lowland County knew she could fly, they would have something to say about it. So it only seems best that Piper be sent away to I.N.S.A.N.E., the top secret school for children with extraordinary abilities like hers. Her new friends have powers like telekinesis, X-ray vision, and the ability to create their own weather. Piper likes her new life at school, but soon, she realizes things aren’t as they seem. Now, the school she was sent to for her own protection might be the most dangerous place she’s ever been.

It is a very good book! (it doesn't sound great but it really is good)

Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

oh i heard of that, just couldn't get my hands on it yet
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Hey i recomend witches and wizards by james patterson. I really liked it. About two siblings named whit and whisty bad names i know but anyway there lives turn up side down when the present starts being run by a new order and its like being the salem witch trial all over again. anyway there imrisoned for being called wizards which they are but they dont know and they have to try to escape. there will be a squal
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 pm

posiden#1god wrote:Hey i recomend witches and wizards by james patterson. I really liked it. About two siblings named whit and whisty bad names i know but anyway there lives turn up side down when the present starts being run by a new order and its like being the salem witch trial all over again. anyway there imrisoned for being called wizards which they are but they dont know and they have to try to escape. there will be a squal

I should go try it, I liked Maximum Ride by him.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Another really good book (for girls) is called Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. Here is the summary:

High on the side of rocky Mount Eskel, far from the valleys where gardens are green and lush, where lowlanders make laws, Miri’s family has lived forever, pounding a living from the stone of the mountain itself. For as long as she can remember, Miri has dreamed of working alongside the other villagers in the quarries of her beloved mountainside. But Miri has never been allowed to work there, perhaps, she thinks, because she is so small.

Then word comes from the valley that the king's priests have divined Mount Eskel to be the home of the prince’s bride-to-be—the next princess. The prince himself will travel to the village to choose her, but first all eligible girls must attend a makeshift mountain academy to prepare themselves for royal lowlander life.

At the school, Miri soon finds herself confronted by bitter competition among the girls and her own conflicting desires to be chosen by the prince. Yet when danger comes to the academy and threatens all their lives, it is Miri, named for a tiny mountain flower, who must find a way to save her classmates—and the one chance to leave the mountain each of them is determined to secure as her own.
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Has anyone read the Alcatraz Smedry series??? They're a really good series of comedy, about this family of special people battling against evil librarians. The First book is called Alcatraz versus The Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by percyjackson101 Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

awesome... i will try to get my hands on that one. Book Recommendations - Page 8 Icon_biggrin

here is one:
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull- back cover summary:

For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite...

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, anceints laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischeivous satyrs,plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jelouse fairies. However, when the rules get broken-Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good- powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most.

it is really good, but i am only half way. there must be a series, because this only says book one. enjoy!
percyjackson101
percyjackson101
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Female Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Cennedy125 Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 pm

That sounds like a good book! I just finished reading the entire Princess Diary series and have nothing to read... I guess I will try to get my hands on that book....
Cennedy125
Cennedy125
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by PJO-geek Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 am

Princess Academy was a really good book!! I recommend the Kingdon Keepers series. 3rd book will be out soon! Also Maximum Ride, Hunger Games, and Alex Rider. Another good book is The Rules of Survival. We read it as a class earlier this year, and it was really good! I'll see if I can find the description...
PJO-geek
PJO-geek
Olympian Demigod
Olympian Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 am

they are kind of old and short but good for a scare so if you like creepy read goosebumps
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 am

Has anyone read The Secrets of the Immortal: Nicholas Flamel series??
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:53 am

No what is that book about sorry again off topic
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 am

posiden#1god wrote:No what is that book about sorry again off topic

Here you go:
"He holds the secret that can end the world.
The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.
The records show that he died in 1418.
But his tomb is empty.
The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects — the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.
Sometimes legends are true.
And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time."
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 am

that sounds like a great book ill try it
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:54 am

Have any of you read the Da Vinci Code?

Not for deeply religious people, no offence to anyone
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:01 pm

No i havent my brother says it's really good
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:45 pm

posiden#1god wrote:No i havent my brother says it's really good

Well, it is but is sort of makes fun of Christianity and implies everything else is false.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Hum im not sure i'll have to think about it
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:58 pm

posiden#1god wrote:Hum im not sure i'll have to think about it

Here's the summary:The Da Vinci Code is a 2003 mystery-detective fiction novel written by American author Dan Brown. It follows symbologist Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu as they investigate a murder in Paris's Louvre Museum and discover a battle between the Priory of Sion and Opus Dei over the possibility of Jesus Christ of Nazareth having been married to Mary Magdalene.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:03 pm

hum sounds good thanks second time you recomended something i want to read THASNKS!!!
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next