MortalNet's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

+8
smoothmoves97
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
riczhang
Cennedy125
posiden#1god
Elliot
tinkerirock
Posidonsdaughter
12 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Empty The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

THIS IS WHERE WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE NEW BOOK.

SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU READ THIS SITE YOU MAY LEARN DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO UNTIL YOU READ THE BOOK.

ALL POSTERS If you talk about the book contents AT ALL, start your post with a SPOILER ALERT!!!

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Posidon
Female Number of posts : 2231
Location : In warm waters whereever they be. Otherwise NY State
Humor : Why be normal - BE EXCEPTIONAL
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 am

Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT!

Post by tinkerirock Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 pm

TRP is cheaper on the eBooks, ecspecially the Nook from B&N
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Imortal Parent : Aphrodite
Female Number of posts : 2026
Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed May 19, 2010 3:44 am

If you haven't noticed we have bee trying to bring you reviews and interviews on TRP. We have not done this just to post but to bring you as many different views of thr book as possible. Well here is a blog review I thought deserved to be on our thread.It is by Maggie.Maggie's blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Kane Chronicles 1: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

I got a Greek-God-lovin' kick out of Rick Riordan's first series for kids, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and so I was pretty amped to pick up the first book in The Kane Chronicles, Riordan's new series. This time, Riordan places his focus on Egyptian mythology, which is awesome, since not only am I interested in it, but I get rThe Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Kane_chronicles_red_pyramid_rick_riordanequests from kids all the time for books about it, and I can usually only pass them The Egypt Game(which is awesome!) but does not really sate the want for action.
But, good gods, does The Red Pyramid have action. So much action, in fact, that sometimes I felt a little overwhelmed by the explosions and underwhelmed by the characters who, of course, have learned that they have the power of gods within themselves. Being that the conceit of this novel is inherantly more complicated (the Egyptian notion of divinity is a bit more complicated than the Olympian) there was a lot of expository dialogue in which things are explained. Which was probably a necessary evil. As intrepid kid reviewer Clare pointed out, it's hard to introduce people to a whole new spectrum of Gods and monsters without being a bit expository, and she's totally right. There was a lot to take in here. But even with that in mind, I felt myself rolling my eyes during some of the more didactic passages, which to be fair, were NEVER boring. Ever. And I must admit, I did rather like the talking baboon.
I wonder, though, if perhaps Riordan bit off a weency bit more than he could chew when he decided to make his lead characters mixed-race. Being hapa myself, this is always something of great interest to me, and so I am a bit more critical of any material covering this topic than the casual reader. But I felt like the way in which Riordan calls attention to race felt neither organic nor necessary. The way that the characters discuss their race in their interior monologues felt a bit belaboured, and I couldn't help but wonder if Riordan was forcing himself to try and reach another demographic.
But none of these things that I've griped about here will stop me from recommending this book. It's an awesome primer for Egyptian mythology, just the way Percy was for the Greek pantheon. It's got enough action to keep even the most reluctant reader involved. It's got enough tough female characters to make Tamora Pierce proud. It's got enough pithy dialogue to keep the chuckles coming as fast as the explosions. It's got everything it needs to go blow for blow with Percy. Which I hope it does. A sly mention of the "other Gods" that live in Manhattan tells me this is happening in the same universe as the previous series. Battle of the Gods, anyone?
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Excuse my double post but I just went over the RED PYRAMID PUZZLE RULES you have to be between 8 - 14 to enter.
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Excuse my double post but I just went over the RED PYRAMID PUZZLE RULES you have to be between 8 - 14 to enter.

You also have to live in the USA.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Imortal Parent : Zeus
Male Number of posts : 3996
Humor : Don't upset the All Seeing eye...
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 am

Rick's blog announced that TRP is #1 for the second week on the Children's Book list and the Percy series is also #1 again on the series list.

The nationwide best selling books list has TRP at #4.

USA TODAY BEST-SELLERS
The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Stumble The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Diggit The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Reddit The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Delicious

The Associated Press | May 20, 2010 05:22 PM EST | The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Ap_wire

Key: F-Fiction; NF-Nonfiction; H-Hardcover; P-Paperback
1. "Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything" by Geneen Roth (Scribner) (NF-H)
2. "Dead in the Family" by Charlaine Harris (Ace) (F-H)
3. "Spoken from the Heart" by Laura Bush (Scribner) (NF-H)
4. "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan (Hyperion) (F-H)
5. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson (Vintage) (F-P)
6. "Savor the Moment" by Nora Roberts (Berkley) (F-P)
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat May 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I knew it would because it's to good not to.
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Male Number of posts : 1473
Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat May 22, 2010 8:23 pm

yea i agree. rick really made a big change from the lightning thief all the way to TRP. its more complex, developed, and longer. It explaines a lot more into depth and the relationship of the characters are really well explained.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Humor : Some people hate dogs. Other people hate cats. Me: I just hate people, period.

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 pm

tinkerirock wrote:yea i agree. rick really made a big change from the lightning thief all the way to TRP. its more complex, developed, and longer. It explaines a lot more into depth and the relationship of the characters are really well explained.

I think that the arguing when they are telling the story really adds to the character development.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerirock Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

yea. and the different points they're narrating the story.
tinkerirock
tinkerirock
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 pm

it gives more information then pjo and explains it bettter
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Location : Massachusetts or is it? Really I dont know where I am right now, some one help
Humor : When i went on a road trip with my brothers and my brother waking up in the car wondering why he was in Rhode Island

Back to top Go down

Post by Ra_Lord of the Ennead Sat May 22, 2010 10:55 pm

"Manhattan has other problems. Other gods. It's best we stay separate."
In another place, Thoth asks if the kids already met Hermes.
Does this mean the Greek gods are also true in the Kane universe?

Plz answer Smile
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
Ra_Lord of the Ennead
Mortal
Mortal

Imortal Parent : Kronos
Male Number of posts : 27
Humor : The way is shut, it was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it Note: If you note this note you will note this note is not worth noting
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sat May 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Please see this previous post by Suz.

Posidonsdaughter wrote:Yes, he is referring to Olympus and all the Greek gods, and that Egyptian magicians were smart to stay out of Manhattan.

In chapter 25 Thoth mentions Hermes that the two of them are nothing alike. Meaning that the gods all exist in the same universal world just like Rick in our 3/14/10 interview said they did.

I feel like Rick couldn't help but give the Greek gods some nod in this book.

You are right in the American version P. 69 Amos's quote has Christmas spelled wrong, without the letter I.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 23, 2010 2:23 am

Rick's hometown paper the San Antonio Express ran an article about TRP:

University of Texas at San Antonio professor Ellen Riojas Clark visited Egypt last year with her granddaughters Madeline, 14, and Emily, 11. Big fans of Rick Riordan's “Percy Jackson” series, they recently devoured the first book from his new series “The Kane Chronicles, Book One: The Red Pyramid,” which deals with Egyptian mythology. Here's what they thought:

Abuela (YaYa): Girls, I sure wish I had read Rick Riordan's ‘The Red Pyramid' before our trip to Egypt last year. It would have provided me with loads of background information, though I would have been in a panic standing before the Rosetta Stone in the British Museum after seeing what happens in the book.Niñas, do you think the theme of Egyptian mythology will be interesting for your friends?

Madeline: Absolutely, because of their views on death and the afterlife. You live your life righteously, die, and then live in paradise forever. All of the myths have something to do with death: Horus avenging his father's death, or Osiris dying and becoming a thousand times more powerful as King of the Underworld.

Emily: The book describes the scary adventures between the gods and the Kane kids and takes place in many of the temples in Egypt we visited on our trip. Remember the bizarre rituals the priests performed to honor their dead, well, they come alive in the story. Spooky!

YaYa: I liked the nontraditional family presented in the book. What do you think of the kids in the story?

Emily: I think Carter and his sister are great characters, and they really had me on the edge of my seat. It was interesting to see Carter's and Sadie's very different opinions, and how they teased each other like normal siblings.

Madeline: They seem more like 15-year-old twins rather than a boy, 14, and his sister, 12. It's hilarious to hear them argue and tease each other, and how they pushed each other's buttons. But the reader soon learns they deeply love and care for each other, so sweet.

YaYa: I think this book will make a great movie — so much action, so fanciful with crazy-looking spooky figures. What did you like/not like about the book?

Madeline: The fact that the book was from both Carter and Sadie's point of view. It's always nice to get both a boy/girl perspective; most books don't have that. I liked that a lot.

Emily: I liked the approach used throughout the book — Carter and Sadie recording the story and arguing over who got the microphone. There wasn't anything not to like, so exciting, it was hard to put down at bedtime.

YaYa: What was the most fascinating part of the book?

Emily: I thought the most fascinating part of the book was when Carter and Sadie talked with their inner-beings, a completely different person. But I won't say too much about that; we don't want to ruin the story.

Madeline: I agree. The communication with the other self was well done. But to me, the fact that an entire civilization existed that mere mortals had no idea about is the most fascinating. It reminded me of ‘Harry Potter' with the secret wizarding.

YaYa: There were so many gods and goddess, I needed a reference list. Did you have favorites?

Madeline: Nephthys, she stood up to her husband when she helps Isis escape after Osiris' death. That took a lot of courage, especially when your husband happens to be the ultra-mean, villainy uncle (like Scar in ‘The Lion King').

Emily: Isis, she has quite the personality in the story, can be unpleasant, but helpful. Also, Isis is the name of my dog. Bast, the cat goddess, is another favorite of mine. My cat is a lot like Bast; loving yet she can scratch with razor sharp claws, like Bast's claw knives.

YaYa:Mi hijitas, what can you tell future readers without giving away the ending?

Emily: Do background research about the ancient gods and goddesses of Egypt because they play a big part in the book and provide lots of action, excitement, and intrigue for Carter and Sadie.

Madeline: Romance definitely starts earlier than in the ‘Percy Jackson' books. It was quite infuriating not to remember the myths I learned in sixth grade. So, definitely brush up on them.

YaYa: I am hooked! Can hardly wait for the next one in the Kane series. Maybe it will take place in Mexico's Chichen Itza, where the gods broke my big toe.

See the article online here: San Antonio Express
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

I love it when Carter calls bast aunt kitty
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

posiden#1god wrote:I love it when Carter calls bast aunt kitty

She looked like she was going to incinerate him on the spot.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 am

She gave him the look of ill get you for that.
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Mon May 24, 2010 4:02 am

posiden#1god wrote:She gave him the look of ill get you for that.

Wonder if she did what she what do to him.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Mon May 24, 2010 11:36 pm

I dont know but i hope we find out
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm

This is from the Coventry Telegraph dot net. I really like his final line.

The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
May 25 2010 By Kate Whiting

The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, Puffin, £12.99.
RICK Riordan is the author of the best-selling Percy Jackson books, which are now the subject of a film franchise a la Harry Potter.
He is perhaps the rightful successor to JK Rowling, with his latest tome for children reading like a cross between the wizard books and ITV’s sci-fi show Primeval.
Carter Kane and his sister Sadie are the narrators for this Egyptian adventure – which has been transcribed from a digital recording.
Their tale begins, says Carter, the night their dad “blew up the British museum”.

Dr Kane, a prominent Egyptologist, accidentally sets five Egyptian gods free before he’s swallowed into the ground.
The siblings set out to save their dad – passing through New York, Cairo and Paris as they learn about their connections to a group of Egyptian magicians and battle the evil god of chaos, Set.
From the first line, it’s a quality page-turner, with lovable characters and a filmic level of description.

This is the perfect description for me for this book. The book reads like it is a movie,and the AUDIO BOOK sounds like a movie.

Who ever wins one of the 2 AUDIO BOOK copies of THE RED PYRAMID will be in for a real treat. They will have an auditory picnic listening to Kevin Free and Katherine Kellgren do such a delicious job of Carter and Sadie. You will become lost in their voices and believe you are really listening to Carter and Sadie. And as the above writer states with Rick's "filmic level of description" your ears will believe they are hearing a movie.

Last edited by Posidonsdaughter on Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm

this good infomation thank you posidonsdaughter
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm

From the Scarlotte Corset blog.

5/25/10
Rick Riordan - The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 3The Red Pyramid The Kane Chronicles, Book 01

In which I attempt to deliver a spoiler-free review AND make sense. First, the blurb:

<BLOCKQUOTE>Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.</BLOCKQUOTE>The Red Pyramid was a pleasant surprise. I got into the book with pretty low expectations because I adored the the Percy Jackson series so much and didn't think Riordan could follow it up with something (anything!) just as good. And was it just as good? Not really. Maybe it paralleled Percy a little bit too much to be OMG. THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!, but, I enjoyed the Kane series debut nonetheless and eagerly await the second installment.

Carter and Sadie Kane, the two leads, were just okay for me. Unfortunately, when held against the Percy Jackson standard, okay isn't as interesting as the Camp Half-Blood kids were. I liked Carter well enough but found Sadie a bit grating on my nerves. I didn't really connect with either character but The Red Pyramid is the first book in the Kane Chronicles and my feelings for the two could be subject to change. The book is written in the first person POV with every two chapters alternately "recorded" by the Kanes. Unlike some other folks, I thought the two had distinct voices and personalities which helped me differentiate who was "speaking" - obviously I enjoyed Carter's chapters more since I find sassy 12 year old girls rude and annoying.

The Red Pyramid starts out a bit slow; Its plot is more complex than the PJ books and my lack of knowledge in the Egyptian Mythology department didn't help when assorted Gods and monsters sprung about. Riordan dumps all sorts of information from the get-go which kept me from getting into the story immediately; a little bit like Stephenie Meyer's The Host, but, unlike The Host, the depth of information given is written in a way that drew me in slowly as opposed to losing interest altogether. It gets plenty better though; Riordan does an excellent job meshing Egyptian Mythology with the 21st century (no surprise there) and, for those paying attention, even vaguely references the gods from his Percy Jackson books. I love, love, love it when authors do that and love it even more when it's done well. As mentioned earlier, the parallels between Percy and the Kanes keep it from being an amazing original; Riordan doesn't stray far from the formula that's made him successful: ancient mythology (albeit Egyptian this time), teenagers, birthright/chosen one/etc plots, however, he is talented enough to keep the two series from being identical (thus far).

The verdict? Very Good - even a keeper - but, alas, not as good as his other more popular series. That said, I eagerly await the next book in the Kane Chronicles as well as his Heroes Of Olympus Chronicles. At this point, I'd read anything this man writes.

Final Grade:

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Aminus.rating.black
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by Posidonsdaughter Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am

The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Icon_geek Just found this on YOU TUBE. It was filmed at the Brooklyn Museum on May 3, at the Pre Release Party by Disney for The Red Pyramid. They had a film crew there and it gives you a small view of this museum.Rick at Brooklyn Museum

God willing I will get our video of the interview with Rick on the same evening up on YOU TUBE this weekend. The Red Pyramid - your views and thoughts - SPOILER ALERT! - Page 4 Icon_basketball khufu is happy
Posidonsdaughter
Posidonsdaughter
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by posiden#1god Sat May 29, 2010 3:08 pm

I hope so i would like to watch that
posiden#1god
posiden#1god
Big Three Demigod
Big Three Demigod

Back to top Go down

Post by riczhang Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 pm

TRP has logged week 3 at #1 on the NYT bestselling list, while PJO series has dropped to #2 on its 150th week.
riczhang
riczhang
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next